Husky Win Streak Snapped At Oregon
EUGENE, Ore. – It might have been rust over rest as the 20th-ranked Husky women's tennis team struggled to get started today in its first match in two weeks, falling at No. 45 Oregon, 4-0. Washington's six-match win streak and 4-0 start to Pac-12 play came to an end as UW dropped to 13-5 overall on the year.
In doubles play, Oregon had 6-1 wins on courts one and three to grab the 1-0 lead. Sarah-Maude Fortin and Hikaru Sato had a 5-2 lead at No. 2 when the point was clinched for the Ducks.
Oregon had straight-set wins at No. 1, No. 4, and No. 5 singles to halt the match at 4-0. Uxia Martinez Moral defeated freshman Kelly Leung, 6-3, 6-0, at No. 5, then senior Vanessa Wong lost a 7-5, 6-1 decision at the top spot to Sophie Luescher. Sato also had a tight 7-5 first set loss at No. 4 against Karin Young and Young ran away with set two, 6-0, to clinch it.
Fortin and Yolanda Lin had dropped first sets at two and six singles, respectively, but had 4-3 leads in their second sets. Nika Zupancic lost her first set in a tiebreak at No. 3 and was at 1-1 early in set two.
The Dawgs will head further south to L.A. next week for two top-20 battles against USC and UCLA.
Washington Women's Tennis
March 27, 2022
Student Tennis Center | Eugene, Ore.
No. 20 Washington – 0
No. 45 Oregon – 4
1. Sophie Luescher (Ore) def. Vanessa Wong (UW) – 7-5, 6-1
2. Sarah-Maude Fortin (UW) vs. Myah Petchey (Ore) – 1-6, 4-3, DNF
3. Nika Zupancic (UW) vs. Ares Teixido Garcia (Ore) – 6-7 (3), 1-1, DNF
4. Karin Young (Ore) def. Hikaru Sato (UW) – 7-5, 6-0
5. Uxia Martinez Moral (Ore) def. Kelly Leung (UW) – 6-3, 6-0
6. Yolanda Lin (UW) vs. Allison Mulville (Ore) – 3-6, 4-3, DNF
Order of Finish: 5, 1, 4
1. Luescher/Martinez Moral (Ore) def. Wong/Zupancic (UW) – 6-1
2. Fortin/Sato (UW) vs. Petchey/Mulville (Ore) – 5-2, DNF
3. Teixido Garcia/Young (Ore) def. Leung/Lin (UW) – 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1