The Wildcats Earn 15th Program Win Over Arizona State
TUCSON, Ariz. -- The Arizona Wildcats (11-5) went 1-1 in day two of the Pac-12 South Invitational. The Cats fell 5-0 against the No. 1 UCLA Bruins (18-0) but earned their 15th win over in-state rival ASU (10-12) in a 3-2 finish.
"Without a doubt this was our most complete weekend, putting together far more consistent play for longer stretches," Head Coach Steve Walker said. "The positive results really stemmed from the players being very receptive in practice, going harder longer. It's nice the see the work pay off some. The hard work and attention to detail will to continue as there are no easy weekends in site, but I know we have the right people in place to do just that."
The No. 17 Wildcats took on No. 1 UCLA and fell 5-0 in their first match of the day. Jasmine Safar and Dilara Gedikoglu put up a fight against the No. 1 team on court three forcing them into a long 26-24 match but the final was ultimately in favor of the Bruins. Pairs Hope Shannon/Annie Kost and Abby Russell/Dana Parker were both able to clinch a win in the first set but ended up falling in the second and third. Russell/Parker went 21-17 in the first while Shannon/Kost went 21-14
Arizona earned a 3-2 win over in-state rival Arizona State in the final match of the tournament. This signified their 15th overall win against the Sun Devils, and first of the season. Pairs Sarah Blacker/Maja Kaiser and Safar/Gedikoglu were able to clinch two of Arizona's three points in just two sets. Blacker/Kaiser went 23-21, 26-24 while Safar/Gedikoglu went 24-22, 21-13. The Cat's third point came on court one where Alex Parkhurst and Alana Rennie fought a hard three set battle. After falling in the first the pair came back to win sets two and three 21-17, 15-12.
The Wildcats will hit the road to Corpus Christi, Texas to participate in the Islander Classic at Texas A&M - Corpus Christi. Arizona will take on three opponents, Texas A&M - Corpus Christi, Houston Baptist and Arizona Christian University on April 1st and 2nd.
Arizona 0, UCLA 5
1. Abby Van Winkle/Lexy Denaburg (UCLA) def. Alex Parkhurst/Alana Rennie (ARIZ) 21-17, 23-21
2. Rileigh Powers/Lea Monkhouse (UCLA) def. Sarah Blacker/Maja Kaiser (ARIZ) 21-18, 21-16
3. Devon Newberry/Jaden Whitmarsh (UCLA) def. Jasmine Safar/Dilara Gedikoglu (ARIZ) 26-24, 21-18
4. Sophie Moore/Natalie Myszkowski (UCLA) def. Abby Russell/Dana Parker (ARIZ) 17-21, 21-14, 18-12
5. Jessie Smith/Marlie Monserez (UCLA) def. Hope Shannon/Annie Kost (ARIZ) 14-21, 21-15, 15-2
Arizona 3, Arizona State 2
1. Alex Parkhurst/Alana Rennie (ARIZ) def. Cierra Flood/Lexi Sweeney (ASU) 18-21, 21-17, 15-12
2. Sarah Blacker/Maja Kaiser (ARIZ) def. Anya Pemberton/Lila Bordis (ASU) 23-21, 26-24
3. Jasmine Safar/Dilara Gedikoglu (ARIZ) def. Sarah Waters/Rylie Kael (ASU) 24-22, 21-13
4. Kate Fitzgerald/Kylie Wickley (ASU) def. Abby Russell/Dana Parker (ARIZ) 21-14, 13-21, 15-11
5. Maddy Salazar/Taryn Ames (ASU) def. Hope Shannon/Annie Kost (ARIZ) 21-11, 26-24