East Bay Battle With The Gaels
BERKELEY – California will wrap up its five-game homestand against Saint Mary's on Tuesday night at Stu Gordon Stadium. First pitch is slated for 6 p.m. PDT and the non-conference contest will be streamed via Pac-12 Plus.
Cal (11-12) will look to get off on the right foot in its sixth consecutive four-game week after going 1-3 against Cal Poly and sixth-ranked Oregon State last week. Tuesday is the first of two head-to-head meetings between the familiar East Bay foes; Cal will make the short trip to Moraga in a couple weeks on Monday, April 11. The Gaels (14-10) have lost seven straight games – including six in West Coast Conference action – after winning their first 11 games and going 14-3 to open the season.
- Matchup: Cal (11-12) vs. Saint Mary's (14-10)
- Location: Evans Diamond at Stu Gordon Stadium | Berkeley, Calif.
- First Pitch: Tuesday, March 29 | 6 p.m. PDT
- Watch: Pac-12 Plus (PxP: Ben Ross)
- Live Stats: StatBroadcast
- Probable Pitchers: RHP Steven Zobac vs. TBA
- Cal is 6-3 against Saint Mary's under head coach Mike Neu. The two teams went head-to-head six times last season, with Cal winning four times. Four of the six games in 2021 were decided by three runs or less.
- Junior right-hander Steven Zobac (1-1, 6.87 ERA) will start on the mound for the Golden Bears. Zobac was a part of the weekend rotation for the first three weeks of the season before shifting into a bullpen role to provide Cal with an experienced arm in late-inning scenarios. Zobac has 21 strikeouts in 18.1 innings pitched this season but has logged just 4.2 innings in his four relief appearances since March 15.
- The Bears are 62nd in the latest RPI and rank 18th in strength of schedule. Cal has played 14 of its 23 games against nationally-ranked opponents and is 7-7 in such games.
- Dylan Beavers homered in all three games against No. 6 Oregon State last weekend and now leads the Pac-12 with 10 this season. The junior slugger moved into a three-way tie for 10th in school history with 29 career home runs. Beavers is slashing .277/.375/.638 and is third in the conference with 27 RBI.
- Keshawn Ogans is batting .407 (22-for-54) during a 13-game hitting streak that dates back to March 6. He's one of three Bears with hitting streaks of six games or better, joining Nathan Martorella (8) and Hance Smith (6).
- Cal's pitching staff ranks second in the Pac-12 and 38th nationally with 10.3 strikeouts per nine innings.
- Senior utility man Dom Souto provided the heroics in Cal's 8-7 walk-off win over Oregon State on March 26, hitting a walk-off home run in the bottom of the ninth inning. Souto had eight career at bats prior to going 4-for-8 in three games played last week. He's started each of the past two games at third base.