Baseball Resumes Pac-12 Schedule at Washington State
|2022 Utah Baseball Game Notes|
Date // Time (MT)
|Utah (15-9-1 overall, 2-4 Pac-12) at Washington State (9-15 overall, 1-8 Pac-12)
Friday, April 1 // 4:05 p.m. MT
Saturday, April 2 // 3:05 p.m. MT
Sunday, April 3 // 2:05 p.m. MT
|Location||Pullman, Wash. (Bailey-Brayton Field)|
Friday // Saturday // Sunday
|Streaming||WSU Live Stream|
|Game Notes||Utah // Washington State (available shortly)|
|@UtahBaseball Social Media||Twitter // Instagram // Facebook // #GoUtes // #UteNotes|
The First Pitch: Things to Know
• After a conference bye weekend, Utah baseball picks up Pac-12 play once again as the ballclub travels to Pullman, Washington for a three-game series against Washington State. First pitch in the series opener at Bailey-Brayton Field is slated for 4:05 p.m. MT on Friday, with the Saturday matchup at 3:05 p.m. MT and Sunday finale set for 2:05 p.m. MT.
• The Utes are looking to build upon an 8-7 win over Utah Valley on Tuesday night in Salt Lake City. It closed out a six-game home stand at Smith's Ballpark for Utah.
• Utah took the middle game of last year's series with Washington State, a 10-7 triumph in Salt Lake. In the rubber game the Utes rallied in the late innings but fell short in a 5-3 decision. Prior to that, Utah won two of three against the Cougars both in 2018 and '19, with the 2018 series being the most recent played in Pullman.
Recap in a Minute
Despite the start of the game being delayed by over two hours due to inclement weather in the area, Utah pulled ahead in the seventh inning and hung on for a 7-6 win over Utah Valley on Tuesday night at Smith's Ballpark.
• Multi-hit performances came on the night from Landon Frei and Jayden Kiernan, including a pair of opposite field hits for Kiernan that each scored a run. Alex Baeza, while finishing 0-for-2, had two crucial sacrifice flies during the game and Kai Roberts scored a pair of runs--including the ultimate game-winning tally.
• On the mound, Zac McCleve went the final 2.1 innings to pick up the win (1-1), during which McCleve allowed a pair of hits, did not walk anyone and struck out three batters. Dusty Schramm pitched two innings of one-run ball earlier in the game with a strikeout, and Jaden Harris retired five of the six batters he faced. Blake Whiting made his first start as a Ute, fanning four in his two innings on the bump.
• UVU threatened in the ninth and put the tying run on second base, before a nice diving catch by Roberts in right field ended the ballgame.