Martinez Moral’s Comeback Leads to Win at BYU
PROVO, Utah – Oregon won its fourth match in a row with a 4-3 victory at BYU in a nonconference match Thursday behind Uxia Martinez Moral's 4-6, 6-2, 6-1 comeback win in the deciding match of singles play.
How It Happened: Needing to take one of the remaining two singles matches at either the No. 5 or 6 spot, the Ducks fell behind early in both as Martinez Moral and Allison Mulville both lost their opening sets. After Mulville fell 6-4, 6-1 at No. 6, Martinez Moral quickly opened up a lead in the second set to win 6-2 and force a third. She picked up the first five games of the deciding set before putting it away, 6-1, clinching the match for Oregon.
For the third straight match and the 12th time this year, the Ducks jumped out to a 1-0 lead by winning the doubles point. Mulville and Myah Petchey quickly put away their match at the No. 2 spot with a 6-2 win before Sophie Luescher and Martinez Moral won the final three games at the No. 1 spot to win 6-3 and clinch the opening point.
UO split the first two singles matches to take a 3-2 lead. After Petchey fell at the No. 2 spot, Luescher finished off a 6-4, 6-4 win at No. 1 singles to put the Ducks back in front for a moment. The Cougars tied it up with a victory at the No. 3 spot, but Karin Young extended her singles winning streak to 13 matches with a 6-4, 6-2 win at No. 4 singles to give Oregon the lead. The No. 5 and 6 singles matches were played following the matches at the first four spots due to BYU's tennis facility having four courts.
Notable: Young improved to 14-1 on the year in singles play with her 13th straight win, the longest singles winning streak by a Duck since 2015 (Marlou Kluving) … This marks the second straight year that Oregon has beaten BYU with a win in a deciding singles match, winning 4-3 in Eugene last season.
Oregon 4, BYU 3
1. Sophie Luescher/Uxia Martinez Moral (ORE) def. Leah Heimuli/Helen Jiao (BYU), 6-3
2. Allison Mulville/Myah Petchey (ORE) def. Anastasia Abramayan/Bobo Huang (BYU), 6-2
3. Ares Teixido Garcia/Karin Young (ORE) vs. Emilee Astle/Kara Lin (BYU), 5-4 (UF)
Order of Finish: 1, 2
1. Sophie Luescher (ORE) def. Leah Heimuli (BYU), 6-4, 6-4
2. Bobo Huang (BYU) def. Myah Petchey (ORE), 6-1, 6-2
3. Emilee Astle (BYU) def. Ares Teixido Garcia (ORE), 6-1, 6-4
4. Karin Young (ORE) def. Madison Smith (BYU), 6-4, 6-4
5. Uxia Martinez Moral (ORE) def. Kara Lin (BYU), 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
6. Xenia De Luna (BYU) def. Allison Mulville (ORE), 6-4, 6-1
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3, 4, 6, 5
Up Next: The Ducks jump back into Pac-12 play Friday at Utah (12:30 p.m.).