No. 1 UCLA Splits a Pair at Mapes Beach
LOS ANGELES -- No. 1 UCLA (19-1) split a pair of duals on Thursday at the Mapes Beach Invitational, falling to No. 2 TCU (25-0), 4-1, before bouncing back to post a 5-0 sweep of No. 9 Hawai'i (15-7). UCLA fell to 3-1 all-time against the Horned Frogs and improved to 12-6 all-time against the BeachBows with its eighth-straight win over Hawai'i.
In the opening dual against TCU, Sutton MacTavish and Kaylie McHugh put the Horned Frogs up 1-0 with a straight-set win on court two over UCLA's Lea Monkhouse and Rileigh Powers, 21-15, 22-20.
TCU went up 2-0 after Maria Gonzalez and Ana Veregara outlasted the Bruins' undefeated freshman pair of Sophie Moore and Natalie Myszkowski (17-1) on court four, 21-14, 19-21, 15-12.
The Horned Frogs clinched the dual on court five where former Bruin Megan Muret and Rochelle Schott defeated UCLA's Jessie Smith and Marlie Monserez in straight sets, 21-15, 21-18.
Jaden Whitmarsh and Devon Newberry ensured the Bruins would not get swept with a 21-14, 21-18 win on court three over TCU's Alexis Filippone and Hailey Brockett.
Daniela Alvarez and Tania Moreno provided the 4-1 final score with a three-set win on court one over the Bruins' Lexy Denaburg and Abby Van Winkle, 21-15, 19-21, 15-12.
UCLA had a solid bounce back after its first loss of the season, defeating Hawai'i by a 5-0 score for just the second time in program history and did so without dropping a set to the BeachBows.
Monkhouse and Powers got things started on court two with a 21-13, 21-12 win over Anna Maidment and Sofia Russo.
Then Myszkowski and Moore bounced back after their first loss of the season to defeat Jaime Santer and Megan Widener on court four, 21-19, 21-11.
Jessie Smith and Marlie Monserez clinced the dual on court five with a 21-17, 21-18 win over Ilihia Huddleston and Riley Wagoner.
Denaburg and Van Winkle then defeated Brooke Van Sickle and Kaylee Glagau on court one, 21-18, 21-16, to put UCLA up 4-0.
Whitmarsh and Newberry provided the Bruins' final point on court three with a 21-16, 21-18 win over Sarah Penner and Kylin Loker.
The Bruins return to action on Saturday, April 2 when they host the UCLA Invitational at iconic Manhattan Beach Pier, starting with No. 15 FIU at 10:00 a.m. PT.
No. 2 TCU def. No. 1 UCLA, 4-1
Mapes Beach • Los Angeles, Calif.
Thursday, Mar. 31, 2022 • 2:30 PM PT
Records: UCLA (18-1), TCU (25-0)
1. Daniela Alvarez/Tania Moreno (TCU) def. Lexy Denaburg/Abby Van Winkle (UCLA) 21-15, 19-21, 15-12
2. Sutton MacTavish/Kaylie McHugh (TCU) def. Lea Monkhouse/Rileigh Powers (UCLA) 21-15, 22-20
3. Jaden Whitmarsh/Devon Newberry (UCLA) def. Alexis Filippone/Hailey Brockett (TCU) 21-14, 21-18
4. Maria Gonzalez/Ana Vergara (TCU) def. Natalie Myszkowski/Sophie Moore (UCLA) 21-14, 19-21, 15-12
5. Megan Muret/Rochelle Scott (TCU) def. Jessie Smith/Marlie Monserez (UCLA) 21-15, 21-18
Order of finish: 2, 4, 5*, 3, 1
No. 1 UCLA def. No. 9 Hawai'i, 5-0
Mapes Beach • Los Angeles, Calif.
Thursday, Mar. 31, 2022 • 4:30 PM PT
Records: UCLA (19-1), UH (15-7)
1. Lexy Denaburg/Abby Van Winkle (UCLA) def. Brooke Van Sickle/Kaylee Glagau (UH) 21-18, 21-16
2. Lea Monkhouse/Rileigh Powers (UCLA) def. Anna Maidment/Sofia Russo (UH) 21-13, 21-12
3. Jaden Whitmarsh/Devon Newberry (UCLA) def. Sarah Penner/Kylin Loker (UH) 21-16, 21-18
4. Natalie Myszkowski/Sophie Moore (UCLA) def. Jaime Santer/Megan Widener (UH) 21-19, 21-11
5. Jessie Smith/Marlie Monserez (UCLA) def. Ilihia Huddleston/Riley Wagoner (UH) 21-17, 21-18
Order of finish: 2, 4, 5*, 1, 3