Freshmen Lead Comeback Win at Utah
SALT LAKE CITY – For the second-straight day, Oregon picked up a 4-3 win in thrilling fashion as freshman Karin Young came back to win in three sets to give the Ducks their fifth straight victory by topping Utah on the road Friday.
How It Happened: Trailing the match 3-2 with Young down 4-0 in the second set after losing the first, and fellow freshman Sophie Luescher in a tiebreaker in her opening set, the Ducks were in need of a major momentum shift. Luescher won her first-set tiebreak then rolled in the second set, winning 7-6(6), 6-3 to fuel Young at the No. 4 spot, as she rattled off six straight games to force a third set. The freshman broke serve tied 3-3 in the third and clinched the match with a 6-4 third-set victory.
The Ducks (13-5, 4-3 Pac-12) dropped the doubles point for just the sixth time this season, as UO fell at the No. 1 and 3 spots. Allison Mulville and Myah Petchey turned in their sixth win as a pair on the dual season, winning 6-3 at the No. 2 spot in the first match to finish.
After a loss at the No. 3 spot put Utah (13-8, 2-5 Pac-12) up 2-0, the Ducks put up the next two points following wins by Uxia Martinez Moral (6-2, 6-3) at the No. 5 spot and Petchey (6-4, 6-2) at No. 2. Mulville fell 6-2, 6-3 at No. 6 singles to give the Utes a 3-2 lead, setting up Luescher and Young for the comeback.
Notable: Young improved to 15-1 in singles play on the season and won her 14th match in a row, the longest streak by an Oregon player in the last 15 years … Oregon's 13 wins in the first 18 matches makes this year the fastest the Ducks have gotten to 13 wins since the 2005 season … The Ducks' 13 wins matches its season total from last year and is tied for the most in a season under head coach Courtney Nagle.
Oregon 4, Utah 3
1. Linda Huang/Madison Tattini (UTAH) def. Sophie Luescher/Uxia Martinez Moral (ORE), 6-4
2. Allison Mulville/Myah Petchey (ORE) def. Madeline Lamoreaux/Emily Dush (UTAH), 6-3
3. Lindsay Hung/Anastasia Goncharova (UTAH) def. Ares Teixido Garcia/Karin Young (ORE), 7-5
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Sophie Luescher (ORE) def. Linda Huang (UTAH), 7-6(6), 6-3
2. Myah Petchey (ORE) def. Emily Dush (UTAH), 6-4, 6-2
3. Lindsay Hung (UTAH) def. Ares Teixido Garcia (ORE), 6-3, 6-1
4. Karin Young (ORE) def. Anastasia Goncharova (UTAH), 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
5. Uxia Martinez Moral (ORE) def. Madison Tattini (UTAH), 6-2, 6-3
6. Anya Lamoreaux (UTAH) def. Allison Mulville (ORE), 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: 3, 5, 2, 6, 1, 4
Up Next: The Ducks wrap-up their road trip to the mountains Sunday at Colorado at either 9 or 10 a.m.