Huskies Split Pair Of 3-2 Matches In Boise
BOISE, Idaho – The Husky beach volleyball team fought to the wire in a pair of 3-2 decisions today at the Boise State Beach Classic, dropping the opener to the Broncos in a match that the Beach Dawgs were two points from winning, but rallying back later in the day to beat Colorado Mesa.
The Huskies moved to 5-9 on the season and Chloe Loreen and Natalie Robinson continued to roll at the No. 1 spot, winning both their matches in straight sets to reach 10-4 for the season. Washington will have the chance for payback twice tomorrow, taking on Oregon and then Boise State once again, two teams that have edged the Dawgs by 3-2 scores this season.
Against the Broncos, the No. 2 and No. 4 matches took the court first. Scarlett Dahl and Kyra Petersen picked up a 21-17, 21-18 win over Land/Chartier at No. 2 for the first point for Washington, but BSU's Martin/Mejia won two deuce sets over Paloma Bowman and Ashley Shook, 27-25, 21-19, to tie it.
Two more deuce sets went to the home team at No. 5, as Emma Calle and Hannah Yerex couldn't quite overcome Benson/Guerra-Acuna, falling 22-20, 21-19. Robinson and Loreen gied it at 2-all with a 21-18, 21-15 win over Boise's top duo, Martin and Tan.
The match ended up being decided at three, where Audra Wilmes and Maeve Griffin kept the Dawgs alive by saving match points in their second set and taking it, 25-23, to force a third set against Boss/Nichols. The teams were tied in the third set at 13-13, but Boise State grabbed the last two points for the 15-13 win to end the match.
Colorado Mesa showed its caliber by earning a 3-2 win over Oregon right before facing the Huskies. Once again the Huskies split at the two and four spots to open things, with both matches going the distance. A reconfigured No. 4 duo of Maeve Griffin and Ashley Shook pulled out a 21-23, 21-12, 15-11 win over Leffler/Hunt of Colorado Mesa. But the Mavericks avoided an 0-2 hole with a 15-21, 25-23, 15-13 win over Dahl/Petersen at No. 2
Calle and Yerex stepped up with a 21-19, 21-13 win at No. 5 over CMU's Wedhorn/VanDeList to put the Huskies a point away. Wilmes and Bowman had a close 21-19, 21-17 defeat at No. 3 to Hall/Megenhardt. But at that point Loreen and Robinson were building a set two lead and they closed out the win at No. 1, 21-15, 21-11, over Spitzer/Johnson.
Washington Beach Volleyball
April 1, 2022
Washington – 2
Boise State – 3
1. Loreen/Robinson (UW) def. Martin/Tan (BSU) – 21-18, 21-15
2. Dahl/Petersen (UW) def. Land/Chartier (BSU) – 21-17, 21-18
3. Boss/Nichols (BSU) def. Wilmes/Griffin (UW) – 21-16, 23-25, 15-13
4. Martin/Mejia (BSU) def. Bowman/Shook (UW) – 27-25, 21-19
5. Benson/Guerra-Acuna (BSU) def. Calle/Yerex (UW) – 22-20, 21-19
Order of finish: 2, 4, 5, 1, 3
Washington – 3
Colorado Mesa – 2
1. Loreen/Robinson (UW) def. Spitzer/Johnson (CMU) – 21-15, 21-11
2. Schmidt/Lachemann (CMU) def. Dahl/Petersen (UW) – 15-21, 25-23, 15-13
3. Hall/Megenhardt (CMU) def. Wilmes/Bowman (UW) – 21-19, 21-17
4. Griffin/Shook (UW) def. Leffler/Hunt (CMU) – 21-23, 21-12, 15-11
5. Calle/Yerex (UW) def. Wedhorn/VanDeList (CMU) – 21-19, 21-13
Order of finish: 4, 2, 5, 3, 1