Men’s Tennis Falls at Arizona
TUCSON, Ariz. – No. 14 Stanford men's tennis dropped a tight match on Friday in Tucson, falling to No. 18 Arizona, 4-2. The Cardinal moves to 12-4 overall this season with a 2-2 mark in Pac-12 play.
Arizona took an early lead in doubles with wins on courts one and three, and extended its lead to 2-0 after a win on court two in singles. Max Basing pulled Stanford back within one with a straight-set win on court three, his team-leading 11th dual win of the season and sixth this year over a ranked opponent.
The Wildcats briefly took a 3-1 lead before Sangeet Sridhar again shrunk the deficit to one with a three-set, come-from-behind win on court five. The Cardinal was deep into a pair of tight three set matches on court four and six in a sprint to the finish, but the Wildcats picked up the decisive result on court six to earn the result.
Stanford returns to action on Sunday, April 3 at Arizona State. The contest gets underway at 1 p.m.
No. 18 Arizona 4, No. 14 Stanford 2
1) Hoeyeraal/Ziverts (ARI) d. No. 48 Fery/Geller (STAN), 6-2
2) Kopczynski/Sah (STAN) led Horwood/Smith (ARI), 5-4
3) Hassey/Strom (ARI) d. Basing/Rotsaert (STAN), 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 3
1) No 71 Jonas Ziverts (ARI) d. No. 2 Arthur Fery (STAN), 7-6 (6), 7-6 (4)
2) No. 49 Gustaf Strom (ARI) d. Axel Geller (STAN), 6-3, 6-1
3) No. 58 Max Basing (STAN) d. No. 103 Colton Smith (ARI), 6-4, 6-4
4) Alexander Rotsaert (STAN) vs. No. 80 Herman Hoeyeraal (ARI), 6-2, 6-7 (6), 4-5 uf
5) Sangeet Sridhar (STAN) d. Nick Lagaev (ARI), 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
6) Carlos Hassey (ARI) d. Timothy Sah (STAN), 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1, 5, 6