Men's Tennis Falls at Washington
SEATTLE – The No. 49 UCLA men's tennis team earned the doubles point, but could establish its footing in singles play, falling to No. 50 Washington by a 5-1 score at Bill Quillian Tennis Center.
The doubles combinations of Alexander Hoogmartens/Bryce Pereira and Giacomo Revelli/Patrick Zahraj were victorious in doubles play for the Bruins (9-3, 1-2 in Pac-12 play). The Huskies (14-5, 2-1) rebounded in singles play, however, never dropping a set. Cesar Bouchelaghem clinched the victory, while a fifth match was finished simultaneously.
Washington struck first on the doubles courts, with Bouchlaghem and Ewen Lumsden defeating Karl Lee and Stefan Leustian by a 6-2 tally. UCLA would close strong on the other two courts, though, with Revelli and Zahraj next posting a 6-4 result against the 34th-ranked team of Clement Chidekh and Nedim Suko on Court 2. Hoogmartens and Pereira followed on the top court with an identical 6-4 result versus Jack Davis and Brandon Wong to give the Bruins the day's first point. Hoogmartens and Pereira have won three consecutive matches as a pair.
The nation's fourth-ranked singles player, Chidekh, snapped No. 38 Hoogmarten's seven-match winning streak with a 6-1, 6-2 showing on the top court. Next off was No. 100 Lumsden, who dealt Revelli a 6-4, 6-0 loss on Court 3. Suko registered a 6-3, 6-2 win versus Leustian on the sixth court, putting the Huskies one point from the overall victory.
Bouchelaghem would dispatch of Eric Hahn by a 6-3, 6-3 margin on Court 5 to secure the clinching point. The winning point in that match came mid-rally on Court 2, where Davis ultimately bested Zahraj, 6-3, 6-4.
UCLA will have a chance to bounce back Sunday, when it visits No. 44 Oregon. First serve from the Oregon Student Tennis Courts is set for 12 p.m. PT.
Tennis Match Results
UCLA vs. Washington
4/1/2022 at Seattle, WA (Bill Quillian Tennis Center)
#50 Washington 5, #49 UCLA 1
1. #4 Clement Chidekh (WASH) def. #38 A. Hoogmartens (UCLA) 6-1, 6-2
2. Jack Davis (WASH) def. Patrick Zahraj (UCLA) 6-3, 6-4
3. #100 Ewen Lumsden (WASH) def. Giacomo Revelli (UCLA) 6-4, 6-0
4. Han-Chih Lin (WASH) vs. Karl Lee (UCLA) 7-5, 3-2, unfinished
5. Cesar Bouchelaghem (WASH) def. Eric Hahn (UCLA) 6-3, 6-3
6. Nedim Suko (WASH) def. Stefan Leustian (UCLA) 6-3, 6-2
1. A. Hoogmartens/Bryce Pereira (UCLA) def. Jack Davis/Brandon Wong (WASH) 6-4
2. Giacomo Revelli/Patrick Zahraj (UCLA) def. #34 Clement Chidekh/Nedim Suko (WASH) 6-4
3. Cesar Bouchelaghem/Ewen Lumsden (WASH) def. Karl Lee/Stefan Leustian (UCLA) 6-2
UCLA 6-9; National ranking #49
Washington 14-5; National ranking #50
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,3,6,5,2)