Downed by Devils
TEMPE, Ariz. - No. 17 Stanford fell to No. 30 ASU on Saturday, 4-2. This marked the first Pac-12 loss of the season for the Cardinal, as the team moves to 12-4 and 5-1 in conference.
Arizona State moves to 11-6 and 3-4 in conference contests.
The doubles point went to the Sun Devils, as the pairs of Morlet and Gallagher and Jankowski and Argyrokastriti were able to dismanted the Cardinal on courts two and three. Angelica Blake and Connie Ma were in a tight 4-3 battle that was left unfinished.
In singles, Alexandra Yepifanova earned the first point for Stanford on the day, taking down Domenika turkovic in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4. Sara Choy followed suit, claiming a quick 6-3, 6-1 victory over Marianna Argyrokastriti on court six.
The Cardinal were unable to find other victories on the day, however. India Houghton and Angelica Blake suffered straight set defeats on courts three and four, putting the pressure on Connie Ma and Valencia Xu to keep Stanford in the match.
Xu claimed the first set, but was unable to seal the victory in the second, pushing the match to a third set which ultimately was left unfinished. On court one, Connie Ma battled hard, but was unable to find the winning game, falling in straight sets to Giulia Morlet, 7-5, 6-4.
Stanford is back in action for another Pac-12 matchup at Washington next Friday.
No. 30 ASU 4, No. 17 Stanford 2
1) Turkovic/Spaka (ASU) led No. 7 Blake/Ma (STAN), 4-3, unfinished
2) Morlet/Gallagher(ASU) d. Xu/Yepifanova (STAN), 6-1
3) Jankowski/Argyrokastriti (ASU) d. Choy/Madurawe (STAN), 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 3
1) Giulia Morlet (ASU) d. No. 13 Connie Ma (STAN), 7-5, 6-4
2) No. 18 Alexandra Yepifanova (STAN) d. Domenika Turkovic (ASU), 6-3, 6-4
3) Sedona Gallagher (ASU) d. Angelica Blake (STAN), 7-5, 6-4
4) Cali Jankowski (ASU) d. India Houghton (STAN), 6-2, 6-3
5) Patricija Spaka (ASU) led No. 87 Valencia Xu (STAN), 4-6, 6-2, 1-1
6) Sara Choy (STAN) d. Marianna Argyrokastriti (ASU), 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: 2, 6, 4, 3, 1