Tiebreaks Costly For Dawgs At No. 21 Trojans
LOS ANGELES – For the second day in a row in L.A. the Husky women's tennis team couldn't quite turn the corner against a top-25 opponent, as 21st-ranked USC held off a UW rally for a 4-1 win at Marks Stadium. The 24th-ranked Huskies had tough luck in tiebreaks today, going 0-3 including two at the end that could have swung the momentum.
Washington (13-7) fell to 4-3 in Pac-12 play with a third straight loss while USC improved to 12-10 and 5-3 in league play.
The Dawgs took the 1-0 lead with an impressive doubles point win. Kelly Leung and Zoey Weil defeated Ewing/Morra at No. 3, 6-4, and moments later Sarah-Maude Fortin and Hikaru Sato also finished a 6-4 win at No. 2 over Willson/Han to clinch the point.
But USC took the momentum back in singles winning five of the six first sets, with only Sato winning her first set at No. 4. Washington's hopes were dealt a tough blow as Nika Zupancic was forced to retire in her second set for the first point for USC. Fortin then had her winning streak snapped by 6th-ranked Eryn Cayetano, 6-1 6-2.
At the No. 5 and 6 spots, Yolanda Lin and Kelly Leung were down a set but trying to extend to third sets and keep the Huskies with a path to victory. But Grace Piper held off Lin, 7-5, 7-6 (2) at No. 5 and Danielle Willson won a long tiebreak over Leung for a 6-4, 7-6 (9) victory.
Sato was at 3-3 in her third set with 78th-ranked Naomi Cheong and Vanessa Wong was down a set and 3-5 against 41st-ranked Salma Ewing.
Washington will return home for two more top-25 matches next week, hosting No. 17 Stanford next Friday, Apr. 8, and No. 12 California on Saturday, Apr. 9.
Washington Women's Tennis
April 2, 2022
Marks Stadium | Los Angeles, Calif.
No. 24 Washington – 1
No. 21 USC – 4
1. Vanessa Wong (UW) vs. (#41) Salma Ewing (USC) – 6-7 (0), 3-5, DNF
2. (#6) Eryn Cayetano (USC) def. Sarah-Maude Fortin (UW) – 6-1, 6-2
3. (#77) Snow Han (USC) def. Nika Zupancic (UW) – 6-2, 2-0, ret.
4. Hikaru Sato (UW) vs. (#78) Naomi Cheong (USC) – 6-1, 2-6, 3-3, DNF
5. Grace Piper (USC) def. Yolanda Lin (UW) – 7-5, 7-6 (2)
6. Danielle Willson (USC) def. Kelly Leung (UW) – 6-4, 7-6 (11-9)
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 6, 5
1. Wong/Zupancic (UW) vs. (#64) Cayetano/Piper (USC) – 5-6, DNF
2. Fortin/Sato (UW) def. Willson/Han (USC) – 6-4
3. Leung/Weil (UW) def. Ewing/Morra (USC) – 6-4
Order of Finish: 3, 2