Skip to main content

Utah Earns First ASUN Win With 10-8 Victory Over Air Force

Apr 2, 2022

SALT LAKE CITY – In its first ASUN Conference game, the University of Utah Lacrosse program earned a 10-8 victory over Air Force on the road today, improving to 5-3 overall and 1-0 in league play.

In the team's second straight win, Utah finished the game with 35 shots including 21 on goal, also forcing eight turnovers while recording 20 ground balls. With 10 goals scored by the Utes, the team had nine different players score at least one goal.

Koa Todd, who scored two for his first multi-goal game of his career, led the team in goals with Josh Stout and Ruben Santana leading the team in points with a goal and two assists each.  

Rylan Lemons led the Utes in ground balls, recording four along with Samuel Cambere racking up a team-best three caused turnovers.

In goal, Zion Dechesere put together a solid performance, only allowing eight goals with 14 saves, giving him a 64-percent save percentage.

4 in first

The Utes got on the board first after Dechesere made a save on the other end of the field with Lemons picking up the ground ball to find Jared Andreala in scoring territory. Andreala shot the ball toward the goal with the Air Force goalkeeper getting a save, but Andreala would follow up with the rebound to get the 1-0 lead for the Utes with 9:18 on the clock.

Dechesere would finish the quarter with four saves and just one goal allowed with the Utes taking a one-point lead heading into the second quarter after Todd scored his first goal of the game with an assist from Casey Wasserman.

After Air Force took a one-point lead early in the second quarter on a two-goal swing, Santana evened things up with 10:19 left to play followed quickly by Cody Hart's second goal of the season to take a 4-3 advantage.

MJ McMahon scored at the 5:32 mark on a spin play, giving Utah a two-point lead before Air Force would score the last goal of the quarter to make it a one-point game at halftime.

Both teams wouldn't score until the 5:53 mark in the third quarter with Tyler Bradbury finding the back of the net on an assist from Santana. Todd followed it up with his second goal of the game with Josh Stout adding a laser shot with 2:09 left in the quarter to give Utah a four-point lead.

With Air Force scoring late in the third quarter and early in the fourth, the Utes were holding onto a two-point lead with 9:06 to play in the game. At the 7:02 mark, Peter Hagan put the Utes back up by three with a man-up goal with Branden Wilson scoring his second goal later in the quarter for a 10-6 lead Utah lead.

Air Force scored two goals late in the quarter, but Dechesere would come up with some key saves down the stretch to secure the 10-8 win for the Utes.

Utah remains on the road to take on Cleveland State on Saturday, April 9. The game is set for a 10 a.m. MT start.