Women's Tennis Rolls to 6-1 Win Against Washington State
LOS ANGELES – The No. 15 UCLA women's tennis team rolled to a 6-1 victory against Washington State Saturday at Los Angeles Tennis Center, improving upon a spotless Pac-12 record while running its winning streak to eight matches.
Each of the day's singles decisions – including five in favor of the Bruins (10-3, 6-0 Pac-12) came in straight sets. Ava Catanzarite clinched the overall win, following up on a victorious doubles performance. Abbey Forbes and Elise Wagle also each logged two wins on the day. Savanna Ly-Nguyen earned the only victory of the day for the Cougars (6-12, 1-6).
The 33rd-ranked pair of Catanzarite and Forbes posted a 6-3 win against Yang Lee and Savanna Ly-Nguyen on the second doubles court for the day's first result. No. 41 Wagle/Elysia Bolton followed just behind, taking care of Michaela Bayerlova and Maxine Murphy with a 6-2 showing on the top court to secure the opening point. Bolton and Wagle have an 8-2 record a partnership, including a 6-1 mark in dual-match play.
Vanessa Ong of UCLA registered her fourth straight singles victory, dispatching of Yang Lee, 6-2, 6-1. Next off was the Bruins' Kimmi Hance – ranked No. 125 – whose 6-1, 6-3 win over Murphy marked her seventh consecutive triumphant result.
Catanzarite earned her second-career deciding victory, handing Elyse Tse a 6-1, 6-4 loss on the fifth court. Her doubles partner, Forbes, followed suit with a 6-1, 6-4 performance against No. 91 Bayerlova on the top court. Forbes is 11-3 in singles play, including a 9-1 dual-match record. She has knocked off four nationally-ranked opponents.
Wagle finished off Abouelsaad on Court 4, 6-2, 6-4, giving the Bruins their sixth straight point. Washington State got on the board with the final result of the day, as Ly-Nguyen bested Sasha Vagramov by a 7-6(3), 6-2 margin.
UCLA will take a brief break from conference play, next welcoming No. 5 Pepperdine to LATC. The Bruins and Waves are set to meet Wednesday, April 6 at 1:30 p.m. PT.
Tennis Match Results
Washington State vs UCLA
4/2/2022 at Los Angeles, CA
(Los Angeles Tennis Center)
#15 UCLA 6, Washington State 1
1. #47 Abbey Forbes (UCLA) def. #91 Michaela Bayerlova (WSU) 6-1, 6-4
2. Savanna Ly-Nguyen (WSU) def. Sasha Vagramov (UCLA) 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
3. #125 Kimmi Hance (UCLA) def. Maxine Murphy (WSU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Elise Wagle (UCLA) def. Hania Abouelsaad (WSU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Ava Catanzarite (UCLA) def. Elyse Tse (WSU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Vanessa Ong (UCLA) def. Yang Lee (WSU) 6-2, 6-1
1. #41 Elysia Bolton/Elise Wagle (UCLA) def. Michaela Bayerlova/Maxine Murphy (WSU) 6-2
2. #33 Ava Catanzarite/Abbey Forbes (UCLA) def. Yang Lee/Savanna Ly-Nguyen (WSU) 6-3
3. Kimmi Hance/Sasha Vagramov (UCLA) vs. Hania Abouelsaad/Fifa Kumhom (WSU) 4-3, unfinished
Washington State 6-12
UCLA 10-3; National ranking #15
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (6,3,5,1,4,2)