#25 Cassone Upsets #2 Fery in ASU’s Loss to #14 Stanford
TEMPE- Sun Devil Men's Tennis fell 4-1 to #14 Stanford on Sunday afternoon. No. 25 Murphy Cassone battled at the No. 1 singles court, upsetting No. 2 Aruther Fery in three sets for his fourth-consecutive win and second top-3 victory this year. Cassone moves to 8-2 in his last 10. The Sun Devils hit the road to play UC San Diego on April 7th at 9am and 1pm MST. ASU closes out the home season Sunday, April 10 at 1 p.m. against Utah.
Cassone topped No. 1 August Holmgren of San Diego Feb. 7 at home and followed that with a win over No. 9 Daniel De Jonge of Pepperdine.
Coach Hill post Stanford. ?? pic.twitter.com/lRa81drPzB
— Sun Devil M. Tennis (@SunDevilMTennis) April 4, 2022
How it happened
The Sun Devils battled hard in doubles but were unable to secure a point. In singles competition, No. 25 Murphy Cassone put ASU on the board with an upset over No. 2 Arthur Fery. Cassone secured the point 6-0, 6-3, 6-1 but it wasn't enough as the Sun Devils lost 4-1.
The Sun Devils are hitting the road to take on UC San Diego on April 7th at 9am MST and 1pm MST. ASU will be back home on April 10th to take on Utah for their last home game of the season. Senior day festivities will commence prior to the match.
4/3/2022 at Tempe, AZ
(Whiteman Tennis Center)
#14 Stanford 4, Arizona State 1
1. #25 Murphy Cassone (ASU) def. #2 Arthur Fery (STAN) 6-0, 3-6, 6-1
2. Axel Geller (STAN) def. #87 Fabien Salle (ASU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-0
3. Jacob Bullard (ASU) vs. #58 Max Basing (STAN) 7-4, 4-5, unfinished
4. George Stoupe (ASU) vs. Aryan Chaudhary (STAN) 6-1, 5-7, 1-0, unfinished
5. Sangeet Sridhar (STAN) def. Spencer Brachman (ASU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Timothy Sah (STAN) def. Moritz Hoffmann (ASU) 6-4, 6-3
1. Jacob Bullard/Murphy Cassone (ASU) vs. Axel Geller/Arthur Fery (STAN) 5-6, unfinished
2. Tomas Kopczynski/Timothy Sah (STAN) def. George Stoupe/Christian Lerby (ASU) 7-5
3. Max Basing/Alexandre Rotsaert (STAN) def. Fabien Salle/Moritz Hoffmann (ASU) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (5,6,1,2)