Buffs Fall To No.36 Oregon
BOULDER - The Colorado women's tennis team battled until the end, but ultimately fell 4-1 to No.36 Oregon here at the CU South Campus Tennis Complex Sunday afternoon.
The Buffaloes (6-11, 0-7 Pac-12) fell behind to Oregon (14-5, 5-3 Pac-12) early as the Ducks' Ares Teixido and Karin Young took the first doubles match over CU's Betina Tokac and Ellen Puzak, 6-2. Caroline Pozo and Maria Campos came up just short in the No.1 doubles position as Oregon clinched the point with a 7-5 set victory. In the No.2 doubles match, Mila Stanojevic and Ky Ecton led 6-5 before the match was abandoned.
In the No.6 singles match, Tokac gave the Buffs some hope by securing the first singles point with 6-2 and 6-1 set victories to bring the score to 1-1. In the No.5 match, Stanojevic took the first set 6-3 and Colorado looked good in pursuit of its second point.
The Ducks took a 3-1 lead after Antonia Balzert fell in the No.1 singles match 6-2, 6-3 to Sophie Luescher, followed closely by Megan Forster falling in the No.4 singles match to Karin Young 6-2, 6-4.
In the No.2 and No.3 matches, Pozo and Campos were competing well and both dropped tightly contested first sets by the same score of 7(3)-6. Meanwhile, Stanojevic fell 6-1 in her second set, setting up for a crucial third set.
In the third set, Oregon's Uxia Martinez completed her comeback over Stanojevic and secured the point and clinched the win for the Ducks. Campos and Pozos' matches were both abandoned in their second sets with Pozo tied 4-4 and Campos up 6(5)-6(4).
Colorado returns to action Wednesday for a midweek non-conference matchup with Denver at 1 p.m. in Boulder. They close out the week against Arizona State at home Friday at 1 p.m., followed by senior day Sunday at 11 a.m. (if outdoors) against Arizona.
#36 Oregon 4, Colorado 1
1. Luescher, Sophie (ORE) def. Antonia Balzert (COLO) 6-2, 6-3
2. Caroline Pozo (COLO) vs. Petchey, Myah (ORE) 6-7 (3-7), 4-4, unfinished
3. Maria Campos (COLO) vs. Teixido Garcia, Ares (ORE) 6-7 (3-7), 6-6 (5-4), unfinished
4. Young, Karin (ORE) def. Megan Forster (COLO) 6-2, 6-4
5. Martinez Moral, Uxia (ORE) def. Mila Stanojevic (COLO) 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
6. Betina Tokac (COLO) def. Kobayashi, Misaki (ORE) 6-2, 6-1
1. Luescher, Sophie/Martinez Moral, Uxia (ORE) def. Caroline Pozo/Maria Campos (COLO) 7-5
2. Ky Ecton/Mila Stanojevic (COLO) vs. Mulville, Allison/Petchey, Myah (ORE) 6-5, unfinished
3. Teixido Garcia, Ares/Young, Karin (ORE) def. Ellen Puzak/Betina Tokac (COLO) 6-2
Oregon 14-5, 5-3 Pac-12; National ranking #36
Colorado 6-11, 0-7 Pac-12
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (6,1,4,5)
Head Coach Anthony Pham
On The Match
Oregon is a good team, they've been playing well so we expected a battle. We gave ourselves a chance. As coaches, we asked them to fight, compete and we did those things today. Those were close matches, we gave ourselves a chance in doubles and a few points here or there could've changed the match.
On Next Week
We look at every match as an opportunity. Wednesday's an opportunity against Denver and then we have two more conference matches at home. We've got three good opportunities ahead of us.