Ducks Drop a Tough One to UCLA
EUGENE, Ore. – Oregon men's tennis dropped a tough one today, falling short to UCLA 4-1. The Ducks hung tough and were in it until the end, leading in the two matches that went unfinished when the Bruins secured the fourth point.
How it Happened: The Ducks started with an uphill battle after giving up the doubles point to UCLA. Oregon's doubles pair of Joshua Charlton and Quinn Vandecasteele won 6-4 and match on court three went to UCLA, leaving the Ducks needing a win from Ivailo Keremedchiev and Jesper Klov-Nilsson. The pair hung tough, but dropped the match 7-5.
UCLA then took a 2-0 lead after winning the first singles point on court three. Klov-Nilsson got one back for the Ducks with a 6-2, 6-3 win on court three. The Bruins got the third point on court one after Charlton came up short 3-6, 6-4, 6-1. The remaining three matches went to three sets, with Oregon battling in all three. The match was anyone's for the taking, until Avi Shugar dropped a heartbreaking point in the third, falling 7-5, 4-6, 7-5.
Up Next: Oregon heads to Washington on April 6 to face the Huskies at 2 p.m.
UCLA 4, Oregon 1
1. A. Hoogmartens (UCLA) def. Joshua Charlton (ORE) 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
2. Quinn Vandecasteele (ORE) vs. Patrick Zahraj (UCLA) 6-7 (10-12), 6-4, unfinished
3. Giacomo Revelli (UCLA) def. Ivailo Keremedchiev (ORE) 6-3, 6-0
4. Jesper Klov-Nilsson (ORE) def. Karl Lee (UCLA) 6-2, 6-3
5. Luke Vandecasteele (ORE) vs. Eric Hahn (UCLA) 4-6, 7-5, unfinished
6. Bryce Pereira (UCLA) def. Avi Shugar (ORE) 7-5, 4-6, 7-5
1. Joshua Charlton/Quinn Vandecasteele (ORE) def. A. Hoogmartens/Bryce Pereira (UCLA) 6-4
2. Giacomo Revelli/Patrick Zahraj (UCLA) def. Ivailo Keremedchiev/Jesper Klov-Nilsson (ORE) 7-5
3. Karl Lee/Jeffrey Fradkin (UCLA) def. Luke Vandecasteele/Ryoma Matsushita (ORE) 6-2