Utes Head to UVU Tuesday Night
|2022 Utah Baseball Game Notes|
Date // Time (MT)
|Utah (17-10-1 overall, 4-5 Pac-12) at Utah Valley (9-19, 3-9 WAC)
Tuesday, April 5 // 3:05 p.m. MT
NOTE: first pitch is now at 3:05 p.m. MT due to impending forecasted weather
|Location||Orem, Utah (UCCU Ballpark)|
|Game Notes||Utah // UVU|
|@UtahBaseball Social Media||Twitter // Instagram // Facebook // #GoUtes // #UteNotes|
The First Pitch: Things to Know
For the second time in eight days, the Utah baseball team crosses paths with in-state rival Utah Valley in a game slated for Tuesday, April 5 at UCCU Ballpark in Orem, Utah. First pitch is slated for 3:05 p.m. MT in the midweek tilt.
• This is the second of three scheduled matchups between the Utes and Wolverines during the 2022 regular season. The Utes picked up a 7-6 victory in a weather-delayed March 29 contest in Salt Lake City, and the teams will also meet in Orem on April 27. The April 27 game will be a make-up of an originally-scheduled February 22 tilt, which was postponed due to inclement weather.
• In the last game between Utah and UVU, Landon Frei and Jayden Kiernan each had multi-hit performances, including a pair for Kiernan that went opposite field to drive in runs. Kai Roberts scored twice, including the eventual game-winning tally, and Zac McCleve picked up the win on the mound with the final 2.1 innings of shutout ball.
• The Utes are looking for their fourth straight win over their rival from Orem, and the club has been victorious in seven of the last eighth vs. UVU since the 2017 season.
Recap in a Minute
Utah is coming off of a trip to Pullman, Washington this past weekend in which the Utes won two of three in a Pac-12 series at Washington State. It was the first road series win in conference for the team since 2019.
• Led by nine-hole hitter Dakota Duffalo (3), four different Utes had multi-hit performances in the 10-9 series-opening victory on April 1. Duffalo had a solo home run, two singles and rounded out his day with two RBI and two runs scored. Carter Booth had a career-high four RBI as well. Micah Ashman picked up his first collegiate victory on the mound.
• In the middle game on April 2, eight different Utes had a hit, eight scored at least one run and six had multi-hit days at the plate in a 10-3 triumph to clinch the series. Freshmen pitching carried the Utes, as starter Jaden Harris went six-plus innings, taking a shutout into the seventh. Harris' final line included a single run on five hits plus a walk, striking out four along the way. Micah Ashman pitched in relief for the second straight game, dealing the final 1.2 innings on the day.
• The back-to-back 10-run performances by Utah were the first time the program accomplished the feat in Pac-12 play since 2017.
• Looking for the sweep, Utah broke a 2-2 tie with two runs in the eighth inning with an RBI double from TJ Clarkson and a bloop single by Davis Cop to bring Clarkson around. But Washington State put up a three-spot in the ninth to take the finale by a 5-4 score.