Huskies Drop 4-1 Decision At Stanford
STANFORD, Calif. – Singles matches were tight, but too many close sets went to the Cardinal today, as the Husky men's tennis team fell in a 4-1 final to 14th-ranked Stanford. Washington (15-7, 2-3 Pac-12) played five sets in the Nos. 4, 5, and 6 singles matches that were decided by one break, but all went to Stanford today at the Taube Tennis Center.
Sixth-ranked junior Clement Chidekh provided the one win for the Dawgs in singles, and it was a big one for the native of France. Chidekh defeated 110th-ranked Axel Geller, 6-3, 7-5 in a match-up between two All-Pac-12 First Teamers from a year ago. Last season, Geller beat Chidekh twice in a row, once in Seattle and then at the Pac-12 Championships, but Chidekh got the better of Geller today and improved to 12-0 this season in dual matches.
Jack Davis had a personal seven-match win streak broken today by 34th-ranked Max Basing, as Basing had a 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 2 singles. Sophomore Han-Chih Lin had a 7-5, 6-4 loss at No. 4 against Sangeet Sridhar, and Stanford clinched with a 6-4, 7-5 win at No. 5, Aryan Chaudhary holding off freshman Cesar Bouchelaghem.
Ewen Lumsden had split sets at No. 3 singles with 92nd-ranked Alexandre Rotsaert and was at 2-3 in the third when the match ended. Nedim Suko had lost his first set, 5-7, at No. 6, and was at 3-4 in the second set.
In doubles, Davis and Lumsden had their second big win in a row since teaming up together, after knocking off Oregon's highly ranked No. 1 pair on Wednesday. Today they defeated Geller/Kopczynski by a 6-4 score, but Stanford got 6-3 wins on courts two and three to take the doubles point.
Washington will look to rebound and grab a third Pac-12 win tomorrow in Berkeley, facing the Bears at 12 noon.
Washington Men's Tennis
April 8, 2022
Taube Tennis Center | Stanford, Calif.
#47 Washington – 1
#14 Stanford – 4
1. (#6) Clement Chidekh (UW) def. (#110) Axel Geller (Stan) – 6-3, 7-5
2. (#34) Max Basing (Stan) def. Jack Davis (UW) – 6-3, 6-2
3. Ewen Lumsden (UW) vs. (#92) Alexandre Rotsaert (Stan) – 6-4, 0-6, 2-3, DNF
4. Sangeet Sridhar (Stan) def. Han-Chih Lin (UW) – 7-5, 6-4
5. Aryan Chaudhary (Stan) def. Cesar Bouchelaghem (UW) – 6-4, 7-5
6. Nedim Suko (UW) vs. Timothy Sah (Stan) – 5-7, 3-4, DNF
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 4, 5
1. Davis/Lumsden (UW) def. Geller/Kopczynski (Stan) – 6-4
2. Rotsaert/Sridhar (Stan) def. (#55) Chidekh/Suko (UW) – 6-3
3. Sah/Basing (Stan) def. Bouchelaghem/Lin (UW) – 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3