No. 16 Women's Tennis Blanks Oregon on Senior Day
LOS ANGELES – The No. 16 UCLA women's tennis team registered a 4-0 sweep of No. 32 Oregon Friday afternoon at Los Angeles Tennis Center, capping a day that saw the Bruins honor their senior class in a pre-match ceremony.
A sweep of the front courts accounted for the three singles points, with Elysia Bolton, Abbey Forbes and Sasha Vagramov proving victorious for UCLA (11-4, 7-0 Pac-12). Bolton, Forbes and Taylor Johnson were recognized on Senior Day. The Ducks (14-6, 5-3) were unable to collect a set in any of the completed matches.
The doubles combination of Bolton and Elise Wagle, ranked 47th by the ITA, dug out of a hole for the second time in as many matches on the top court. Two days after overcoming a 0-4 deficit to clinch the initial point against Pepperdine, the pair took the final six games from Sophie Luescher and Uxia Martinez Moral for a 6-2 victory. Bolton/Wagle is now 10-2 on the season, including an 8-1 record in dual-match play, and has turned in six wins in a row.
Running their own winning streak to nine in as many decisions was the Bruins' tandem of Kimmi Hance and Sasha Vagramov on Court 3. The pair added to its streak with a 6-3 result versus Ares Teixido Garcia and Karin Young. Hance and Vagramov are 11-1 overall and sport a 9-0 mark in dual matches.
Five singles first sets went the way of UCLA. No. 43 Forbes set the tone on the top court after having her doubles match left unfinished, taking six of seven first-set games from Luescher. She produced a near-identical showing in the second, settling for a 6-1, 6-2 triumph that improved her overall singles record to 13-3 and the defending Pac-12 Singles Player of the Year's dual-match showing to 11-1.
Next to finish was No. 93 Bolton, who held off Myah Petchey on Court 2 for a 6-4, 6-4 decision. Bolton has now earned singles and doubles wins in the same dual match five times this year.
Vagramov completed the run across the top courts with her 6-2, 7-5 victory against Teixido Garcia on Court 3. The deciding win represents the third of the current dual-match season for Vagramov, who is tied for the team lead – with Forbes and Wagle -- at 13 total singles wins.
The Bruins complete their regular season Friday, April 15, with a visit to crosstown rival and 18th-ranked USC's David X. Marks Tennis Stadium. First serve is set for 1:30 p.m. PT.
Tennis Match Results
Oregon vs UCLA
4/8/2022 at Los Angeles, CA
(Los Angeles Tennis Center)
#16 UCLA 4, #32 Oregon 0
1. #43 Abbey Forbes (UCLA) def. Sophie Luescher (ORE) 6-1, 6-2
2. #93 Elysia Bolton (UCLA) def. Myah Petchey (ORE) 6-4, 6-4
3. Sasha Vagramov (UCLA) def. Ares Teixido Garcia (ORE) 6-2, 7-5
4. Kimmi Hance (UCLA) vs. Karin Young (ORE) 6-1, 4-6, 4-2, unfinished
5. Vanessa Ong (UCLA) vs. Uxia Martinez Moral (ORE) 5-7, 3-2, unfinished
6. Ava Catanzarite (UCLA) vs. Allison Mulville (ORE) 7-6 (7-1), 5-2, unfinished
1. #47 Elysia Bolton/Elise Wagle (UCLA) def. Sophie Luescher/Uxia Martinez Moral (ORE) 6-2
2. #36 Ava Catanzarite/Abbey Forbes (UCLA) vs. Allison Mulville/Myah Petchey (ORE) 5-4, unfinished
3. Kimmi Hance/Sasha Vagramov (UCLA) def. Ares Teixido Garcia/Karin Young (ORE) 6-3
Oregon 14-6; National ranking #32
UCLA 11-4; National ranking #16
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (1,2,3)