No. 43 Cal Stumbles Against No. 52 Oregon
BERKELEY – After two weeks of playing on the road, the 43rd-ranked California men's tennis team returned to the friendly confines of the Hellman Tennis Complex on Friday. But despite singles wins from Lucas Magnaudet and Philip Hjorth, the Golden Bears lost, 4-2, to No. 52 Oregon.
Cal now has a 10-8 record (1-5 in the Pac-12). Oregon improved to 11-10 (1-4 Pac-12).
The Bears collected the day's first victory, when Hjorth and Derrick Chen defeated Luke Vandecasteele and Yousseff Kadiri, 6-3, at court-three doubles. But the Ducks won on court one and then court two to clinch the doubles point.
In singles, Magnaudet beat Oregon's Avi Shugar, 6-2, 6-0, and when Hjorth won a three-setter over Quinn Vandecasteele, 1-6, 6-3, 6-4, the Bears were tied with the Ducks at 2-2.
But then Oregon got a win on court one to take a 3-2 lead. Oregon secured its win over the Bears when Jesper Klöv-Nilsson defeated Carl Emil Overbeck, 6-4, 0-6, 6-3, on court four.
Cal has lost five straight dual matches.
"This is like déjà vu for me, five matches in a row," said Kris Kwinta, Cal's Peter Wright Director of Men's Tennis. "It's the same thing – we play well in certain spots. We start well, and then we just let up. It's the challenge of this season to figure out how can we get stronger mentally. Clearly, we're playing the scoreboard and playing the moment too much.
"Who we really are is going to show tomorrow, when we try to rebound at home in front of our crowd on McManus Legends Day, a big day for us, against a great Washington team. I'm sure we can draw a lot of positives and a lot of good lessons from this loss."
Cal hosts No. 50 Washington at 12 p.m. on Saturday, when the Bears will also honor the legacy of late alum Jim McManus on McManus Legends Day. As part of the celebration, Fuddruckers will provide free hamburgers to fans at Hellman while supplies last.
No. 52 Oregon (11-10, 1-4 Pac-12) defeated No. 43 California (10-8, 1-5 Pac-12), 4-2
April 8 2022, in Berkeley, Calif.
Hellman Tennis Complex
1. No. 32 Joshua Charlton/Quinn Vandecasteele (Oregon) def. No. 44 Yuta Kikuchi/Carl Emil Overbeck (Cal), 6-4
2. Ivailo Karamadchiev/Jesper Klöv-Nilsson (Oregon) def. Sean Hill/Lucas Magnaudet (Cal), 7-6*
3. Derrick Chen/Philip Hjorth (Cal) def. Luke Vandecasteele/Yousseff Kadiri (Oregon), 6-3
Order of Finish – 3, 1, 2*
*Clinched the doubles point
1. No. 90 Joshua Charlton (Oregon) def. No. 102 Yuta Kikuchi (Cal), 7-6(4), 6-3
2. Philip Hjorth (Cal) def. Quinn Vandecasteele (Oregon), 1-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. Ivailo Keremedchiev (Oregon) def. Sean Hill (Cal), 6-3, 0-6, 6-3
4. Jesper Klöv-Nilsson (Oregon) def. Carl Emil Overbeck (Cal), 6-4, 0-6, 6-3^
5. Derrick Chen (Cal) vs. Luke Vandecasteele (Oregon), 4-6, 7-5, 4-1 (Unfinished)
6. Lucas Magnaudet (Cal) def. Avi Shugar (Oregon), 6-2, 6-0
Order of Finish – 6, 3, 2, 1, 4^
^Clinched the overall match