Wong Earns Top-20 Win But Stanford Prevails
SEATTLE – Senior Vanessa Wong picked up the best win of her season thus far but a short-handed Husky squad was unable to make any other inroads against 17th-ranked Stanford today at the Nordstrom Tennis Center. No. 28 Washington (13-8, 4-4 Pac-12) was playing without its No. 2 and No. 3 singles players today and lost by a 6-1 count.
Wong delivered a vintage performance on court one, as she upset 14th-ranked Connie Ma, 7-5, 6-2 for the 110th win of her career.
Vanessa Wong with the biggest win of her season so far, a 7-5, 6-2 win over 14th-ranked Connie Ma ??
— Washington Women's Tennis (@UW_WTennis) April 8, 2022
Stanford won the remaining matches in straight sets, the closest being at No. 2, where Hikaru Sato stepped up against 20th-ranked Alexandra Yepifanova and kept it close before falling 6-3, 6-4.
UW played without usual No. 2 singles starter Sarah-Maude Fortin, who just moved into the singles rankings this week at No. 116, as well as Nika Zupancic, the regular No. 3 singles starter who has also been ranked this season.
Yolanda Lin slid up to No. 3 singles, Kelly Leung moved up to No. 4, and Zoey Weil and Tara Chilton stepped into the singles lineup at five and six, respectively, but the Cardinal got wins on all four courts.
In doubles, the Stanford team of Madurawe/Xu defeated Chilton/Lin at No. 3, 6-3, and then Stanford's Choy/Yepifanova held off Leung and Weil at No. 2, 7-5, to clinch the point.
The Huskies will be back in action tomorrow afternoon at 12 p.m. against ninth-ranked Cal.
Washington Women's Tennis
April 8, 2022
Nordstrom Tennis Center | Seattle, Wash.
No. 28 Washington – 1
No. 17 Stanford – 6
1. Vanessa Wong (UW) def. (#14) Connie Ma (Stan) – 7-5, 6-2
2. (#20) Alexandra Yepifanova (Stan) def. Hikaru Sato (UW) – 6-3, 6-4
3. Angelica Blake (Stan) def. Yolanda Lin (UW) – 6-2, 6-1
4. India Houghton (Stan) def. Kelly Leung (UW) – 6-3, 6-1
5. (#117) Valencia Xu (Stan) def. Zoey Weil (UW) – 6-2, 6-3
6. Sara Choy (Stan) def. Tara Chilton (UW) – 6-0, 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 6, 5, 4, 1, 2
1. Wong/Sato (UW) vs. (#10) Blake/Ma (Stan) – 3-5, DNF
2. Choy/Yepifanova (Stan) def. Leung/Weil (UW) – 7-5
3. Madurawe/Xu (Stan) def. Chilton/Lin (UW) – 6-3
Order of Finish: 3, 2