Beach Dawgs Beat Utes, Drop Stanford Match
STANFORD, Calif. – Washington Beach Volleyball split a pair of matches today as the Pac-12 North Invitational got rolling with nine total matches on Stanford's campus. The Huskies fell in their first match against the ninth-ranked Cardinal by a 4-1 score, but then turned around immediately and defeated Utah by the same 4-1 score.
Natalie Robinson and Chloe Loreen picked up two more wins at the No. 1 spot today, beating Stanford and Utah's top duos without dropping a set.
Washington will have two more matches at Stanford on Sunday, first against third-ranked UCLA at 2 p.m., then taking on Arizona State at 5 p.m.
Match 1 - Stanford
Washington and Stanford battled for the second time this season, but the Cardinal got the better of the Dawgs again. However, Loreen and Robinson took out Stanford's Ekstrom/Kriz in straight sets, 21-17, 21-18 to prevent a sweep.
Audra Wilmes and Paloma Bowman went three sets at the No. 3 spot, but fell to Morris/Wilson 21-18, 17-21, 15-8. Hannah Yerex and Emma Calle had a close 19-21 first set loss but Dailey/Harvey of the Cardinal pulled away in the second set, 21-11, at No. 5.
Match 2 - Utah
UW met Utah for the first time this season and Washington picked up straight set wins on four courts to earn its seventh win of the season.
The two and four matches went on first, and Scarlett Dahl and Kyra Petersen gave UW the edge with a 21-18, 21-18 win at No. 2 over Andrews/Vezzani. The Utes answered with a three set win on four, with Sayre/Daniel winning the last three points from 12-12 in the third over Calle and Yerex.
But Washington was gaining separation on courts five and one. At No. 5, Ashley Shook and Olivia Mikkelsen secured a point, 21-13, 21-14, over Pitzak/Jacinto. That set up Robinson and Loreen to clinch it, as they posted a 21-11, 21-12 win over Patchell/Messier.
Wilmes and Bowman got the final win, 21-16, 22-20, over Utah's Koch/Leight at No. 3.
Washington Beach Volleyball
Pac-12 North Invitational
April 9, 2022
Washington – 1
No. 9 Stanford – 4
1. Loreen/Robinson (UW) def. Ekstrom/Kriz (Stan) – 21-17, 21-18
2. Hodel/Reilly (Stan) def. Dahl/Petersen (UW) – 21-15, 21-10
3. Morris/Wilson (Stan) def. Wilmes/Bowman (UW) – 21-18, 17-21, 15-8
4. Sharp/McKinney (Stan) def. Shook/Griffin (UW) – 21-14, 21-14
5. Dailey/Harvey (Stan) def. Calle/Yerex (UW) – 21-19, 21-11
Order of finish: 4, 2, 5, 1, 3
Washington – 4
Utah – 1
1. Robinson/Loreen (UW) def. Patchell/Messier (Utah) – 21-11, 21-12
2. Dahl/Petersen (UW) def. Andrews/Vezzani (Utah) – 21-18, 21-18
3. Bowman/Wilmes (UW) def. Koch/Leight (Utah) – 21-16, 22-20
4. Sayre/Daniel (Utah) def. Calle/Yerex (UW) – 21-15, 19-21, 15-12
5. Shook/Mikkelsen (UW) def. Pitzak/Jacinto (Utah) – 21-13, 21-14
Order of finish: 2, 4, 5, 1, 3