Ducks Pick Up Ranked Win at Pac-12 North
STANFORD, Calif. – The Oregon beach volleyball team opened their Pac-12 North weekend with a win over No. 17 Arizona, the program's first-ever win over a ranked opponent. The Ducks finished the day with a split after a loss to Arizona State in match two.
Under first-year head coach Jason Dillard, Oregon is now 9-12 this season and has set the program record for match wins in a single season. The Ducks were 8-11 during the 2021 campaign.
Match 1 | Oregon 4, #17 Arizona 1
The Ducks jumped out to a 2-0 advantage over Arizona thanks to straight-set wins on courts three and five. Ally Haden and Savannah Siegrist tallied the first point of the dual with a 21-17, 24-22 win at No. 5 pairs followed by a straight-set victory by Alex Laita and Bea Wetton at the No. 3 spot.
Oregon clinched the upset when Ashley Schroeder and Ella Tyus, rallying from a set down, put away a three-set triumph over Dana Parker and Abby Russel on court four.
Arizona picked up their lone point with a win at No. 2 pairs but at the top of the lineup, Reagan Hope and Brooke Nuneviller secured their 10th win of the year with a 21-15, 21-13 victory to close out the scoring.
1. Reagan Hope/Brooke Nuneviller (UO) def. Alex Parkhurts/Alana Rennie (UA) – 21-15, 21-13
2. Sarah Blacker/Maja Kaiser (UA) def. Madelyn LaFollette/Daley McClellan (UO) – 21-10, 21-19
3. Alex Laita/Bea Wetton (UO) def. Dilara Gedikoglu/Jasmine Safar (UA) – 21-18, 21-16
4. Ashley Schroeder/Ella Tyus (UO) def. Dana Parker/Abby Russel (UA) – 14-21, 21-11, 15-10
5. Ally Haden/Savannah Siegrist (UO) def. Annie Kost/Hope Shannon (UA) – 21-17, 24-22
6. Miranda Erro/Kali Uhi (UA) def. Chloe Brown/Batia Rotshtein (UO) – 21-16, 21-18 | exhibition
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 4*, 2, 1 | * – clincher
Match 2 | Arizona State 3, Oregon 2
Playing in waves—No. 2, 4, 6 up first—the Sun Devils posted sweeps on courts two and four to take the early 2-0 lead. At the No. 4 spot, Schroeder and Tyus saved a couple of match points before falling to the team of Kate Fitzgerald and Kylie Wickley.
Hope and Nuneviller got the Ducks on the board with a 21-17, 21-17 win at No. 1 pairs. It was the duo's second victory of the day and team-leading 11th of the season.
However, ASU got a sweep on court five to clinch the dual win.
With a point still up for grabs, Laita and Wetton pulled through with a three-set victory on court three. The pair saved a match point—down 14-15—and rattled off the final three points of the match including a Laita kill to clinch the result. Laita and Wetton are now 10-7 this season.
1. Reagan Hope/Brooke Nuneviller (UO) def. Cierra Flood/Lexi Sweeny (ASU) – 21-17, 21-17
2. Lila Bordis/Anya Pemberton (ASU) def. Madelyn LaFollette/Daley McClellan (UO) – 21-13, 21-16
3. Alex Laita/Bea Wetton (UO) def. Rylie Kael/Sarah Waters (ASU) 21-18, 13-21, 17-15
4. Kate Fitzgerald/Kylie Wickley (ASU) def. Ashley Schroeder/Ella Tyus (UO) – 21-18, 23-21
5. Taryn Ames/Maddy Salazar (ASU) def. Ally Haden/Savannah Siegrist (UO) – 21-14, 21-17
6. Zoe Almanza/Batia Rotshtein (UO) vs Shane Burleson/Lauren Weintraub (ASU) – 21-17, 9-21, unf. | exhibition
Order of Finish: 2, 4, 1, 5*, 3 | * – clincher
Day two of the Pac-12 North Invitational features a pair of top-three opponents for the Ducks with No. 3 UCLA at 8 a.m. followed by the team's weekend finale against top-ranked USC at 2 p.m.
For more news and information about Oregon beach volleyball, follow @OregonBeachVB on Instagram and @OregonVB on Twitter.