Men's Tennis Drops 4-2 Decision to USC
LOS ANGELES – The No. 48 UCLA men's tennis team grabbed the first two points in its rivalry match with No. 15 USC Saturday afternoon, but was overcome for a 4-2 Pac-12 loss on Senior Day at Los Angeles Tennis Center.
Bruins Roscoe Bellamy, Eric Hahn, Blaine Hovenier, Bryce Pereira, Mathew Tsolakyan and Max Wild were honored after doubles play. Pereira registered wins on the singles and doubles courts, including an upset of the nation's No. 6 pair to seal the opening point for UCLA (7-10, 2-3 Pac-12). The Trojans (16-5, 6-1) collected four straight-set singles victories, with Ryan Colby providing the clincher.
Giacomo Revelli and Patrick Zahraj set the tone for the Bruins in doubles play, recording a 6-3 defeat of Peter Makk and Lodewijk Weststrate on Court 2. Revelli and Zahraj have now teamed to win three matches in a row. Ryder Jackson and Samuel Rubell answered for USC, however, besting Jeffrey Fradkin and Karl Lee by a 6-4 margin on Court 3.
A tiebreaker was needed on Court 1, where Pereira and Alexander Hoogmartens edged out their top-10 counterparts for the decider. With the 7-4 result, Pereira has now been part of two wins against the Stefan Dostanic/Bradley Frye team. Pereira previously earned a 6-1 victory versus the then-No. 10 pair with Zahraj March 1.
Pereira continued his stellar play on the singles courts, earning his third dual-match win in as many tries. The fifth-year senior handed Rubell a 6-1, 6-2 defeat on Court 6, doubling the UCLA advantage.
The Trojans' turnaround began on Court 1, where No. 2 Dostanic proved too much for No. 23 Hoogmartens in a 7-5, 6-1 decision. Then, nearly simultaneously, No. 116 Weststrate beat Hahn in a 6-2, 6-4 performance on Court 5 and No. 52 Makk outlasted Revelli for a 6-3, 7-5 victory that gave USC its first lead of the day.
Colby completed the comeback on Court 4, carrying a first-set tiebreaker win into the second, where he fended off Lee for a 7-6(5), 6-4 showing.
The Bruins will have a chance to bounce back Tuesday, when it welcomes Hawai'i to LATC for a doubleheader. The matches will begin at 10:30 am. PT and 3 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
USC vs UCLA
4/9/2022 at Los Angeles, CA
(Los Angeles Tennis Center)
#15 USC 4, #48 UCLA 2
1. #2 Stefan Dostanic (USC) def. #23 A. Hoogmartens (UCLA) 7-5, 6-1
2. Patrick Zahraj (UCLA) vs. Bradley Frye (USC) 3-6, 6-3, 2-2, unfinished
3. #52 Peter Makk (USC) def. Giacomo Revelli (UCLA) 6-3, 7-5
4. Ryan Colby (USC) def. Karl Lee (UCLA) 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
5. #116 Lodewijk Weststrate (USC) def. Eric Hahn (UCLA) 6-2, 6-4
6. Bryce Pereira (UCLA) def. Samuel Rubell (USC) 6-1, 6-2
1. A. Hoogmartens/Bryce Pereira (UCLA) def. #6 Stefan Dostanic/Bradley Frye (USC) 7-6 (7-4)
2. Giacomo Revelli/Patrick Zahraj (UCLA) def. Peter Makk/Lodewijk Weststrate (USC) 6-3
3. Ryder Jackson/Samuel Rubell (USC) def. Jeffrey Fradkin/Karl Lee (UCLA) 6-4
USC 16-5; National ranking #15
UCLA 7-10; National ranking #48
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,1,5,3,4)