No. 3 UCLA Defeats No. 12 California, 4-1
STANFORD, Calif. -- No. 3 UCLA (22-2) opened the Pac-12 North Invitational with a 4-1 win over No. 12 California (19-7) on Saturday at Stanford's Beach Volleyball Stadium. UCLA improved to 10-0 all-time against the Golden Bears.
Jessie Smith and Marlie Monserez on court four got the Bruins on the board first with a 21-11, 21-16, win over California's Ella Sears and Ashley Delgado.
Ana Costa and Maya Gessner tied the dual at 1-1 on court two with a 21-16, 21-14 win over UCLA's Devon Newberry and Jaden Whitmarsh.
Lexy Denaburg and Abby Van Winkle put the Bruins back in front at 2-1 with a 21-17, 21-13 win on court one over the Golden Bears' Ainsley Radell and Ava Mann.
Court three proved to be the decisive court where Lea Monkhouse and Rileigh Powers outlasted California's Lexi McKeown and Ella Dreibholz, 15-21, 21-12, 15-13. The Bruins rallied from being down 10-8 in the third set and scored the final three points of the match after trailing 13-12.
In exhibition play, UCLA's Sophie Moore and Natalie Myszkowski battled to a 15-21, 21-18 draw against Cal's Alex Young-Gomez and Alena Korobko.
The Bruins return to action later today when they take on Arizona State (10-12) at 5:00 p.m. at Stanford's Graduate School of Business Courts.
No. 1 UCLA def. No. 12 California, 4-1
Beach Volleyball Stadium • Stanford, Calif.
Saturday, Apr. 9, 2022 • 10:00 AM PT
Records: UCLA (22-2), CAL (19-7)
1. Lexy Denaburg/Abby Van Winkle (UCLA) def. Ainsley Radell/Ava Mann (CAL) 21-17, 21-13
2. Ana Costa/Maya Gessner (CAL) def. Jaden Whitmarsh/Devon Newberry (UCLA) 21-16, 21-14
3. Rileigh Powers/Lea Monkhouse (UCLA) def. Lexi McKeown/Ella Dreibholz (CAL) 15-21, 21-12, 15-13
4. Jessie Smith/Marlie Monserez (UCLA) def. Ella Sears/Ashley Delgado (CAL) 21-11, 21-16
5. Tessa Van Winkle/Peri Brennan (UCLA) def. Kate Bierly/Natalie Martin (CAL) 21-15, 19-21, 15-9
EXH. Sophie Moore/Natalie Myszkowski (UCLA) vs. Alex Young-Gomez/Alena Korobko (CAL) 15-21, 21-18
Order of finish: 4, 2, 1, 3*, 5