Sand Devils Down Ducks, Fall To No. 3 UCLA
STANFORD, Calif. – Underclassmen stepped up to help Sun Devil Beach Volleyball get back on track with a 3-2 win against Oregon, before falling to No. 3 UCLA 5-0 to wrap up day one at the Pac-12 South Invitational at Stanford on Saturday.
Arizona State is now 11-13, 3-6 in Pac-12 play. The team leader in wins is still sophomore Kate Fitzgerald with 13 after earning another victory with freshman Kylie Wickley, who is right behind her with 12 wins. Two others have 12 wins as well: sophomore Taryn Ames and senior Maddy Salazar, who both earned a win against the Ducks as well. In that team win, five of the six Sand Devils involved were underclassmen.
Game One: Arizona State 3, Oregon 2
ASU improved its record against Oregon (9-11, 2-5 Pac-12) in the all-time series to a perfect 3-0. The Sand Devils took the 2-0 lead in the dual after the first wave. The No. 2 duo of Lila Bordis and Anya Pemberton won handily in straight sets for the first point. Kate Fitzgerald and Kylie Wickley improved their season record to 3-0 after winning theirs in a sweep as well. That pair came from behind in their first set to win, as well as holding off a comeback attempt in their second set.
In the second wave, the Ducks took court one, but Taryn Ames and Maddy Salazar were able to clinch it at the No. 5 spot. The No. 3 duo of Rylie Kael and Sarah Waters dropped the first set but bounced back to force a third. Oregon would take that final match to make it a 3-2 final.
Results (Order of Finish: 2, 4, 1, 5*, 3)
1) Hope/Nuneviller (ORE) def. Cierra Flood/Lexi Sweeney (ASU) 21-17, 21-17
2) Lila Bordis/Anya Pemberton (ASU) def. McClellan/LaFollette (ORE) 21-13, 21-16
3) Laita/Wetton (ORE) def. Rylie Kael/Sarah Waters (ASU) 21-18, 14-21, 17-15
4) Kate Fitzgerald/Kylie Wickley (ASU) def. Tyus/Schroeder (ORE) 21-18, 23-21
5) Taryn Ames/Maddy Salazar (ASU) def. Haden/Siegrist (ORE) 21-14, 21-17
— Sun Devil Beach VB (@SunDevilBeachVB) April 9, 2022
Game Two: No. 3 UCLA 5, Arizona State 0
The Sun Devils struggled against the Bruins (23-2, 7-0 Pac-12) to wrap up Saturday's duals. Four of the courts were just two sets, but the No. 3 pair of Kael and Waters pushed their match to three sets, losing 15-11 in the third.
Results (Order of Finish: 1, 4, 2*, 3, 5)
1) Denaburg/A. Van Winkle (UCLA) def. Cierra Flood/Lexi Sweeney (ASU) 21-15, 21-18
2) Newberry/Whitmarsh (UCLA) def. Lila Bordis/Anya Pemberton (ASU) 21-15, 21-15
3) Monkhouse/Smith (UCLA) def. Rylie Kael/Sarah Waters (ASU) 21-13, 20-22, 15-11
4) Monserez/Powers (UCLA) def. Kate Fitzgerald/Kylie Wickley (ASU) 21-18, 21-19
5) Brennan/T. Van Winkle (UCLA) def. Taryn Ames/Maddy Salazar (ASU) 21-18, 21-14
The second day of the Pac-12 South Invitational is on Sunday. Arizona State will play Utah at 8 a.m. MST on the Pac-12 Network and will take a long break before playing Washington at 5 p.m. MST.