Ducks Close Out Pac-12 North Weekend
STANFORD, Calif. – The Oregon beach volleyball team closed out the Pac-12 North Invitational with a pair of losses Sunday to UCLA and USC, two of the top-three ranked teams in the country. After a 1-3 weekend at the conference round-robin event, the Ducks are now 9-14 this season.
The Ducks' schedule continues with the Husky Invitational (April 16-17) in Seattle. Along with Oregon, the four-team field will include Hawaii, Portland and host Washington. The Ducks' next home match—and Senior Day—is slated for April 21 at Amazon Park.
Match 1 | #3 UCLA 5, Oregon 0
Facing last year's national runner-up, the Ducks forced a pair of three setters in the first of three waves against UCLA. At the top spot, Reagan Hope and Brooke Nuneviller dropped the opening set but rallied for a 28-26 win in the second before, ultimately, falling to Lexy Denaburg and Abby Van Winkle.
The No. 4 pairs team of Ashley Schroeder and Ella Tyus took a one-set lead over Peri Brennan and Tessa Van Winkle but the Bruins' duo responded for the 26-28, 21-16, 15-10 victory. The result gave UCLA the 2-0 match lead.
The Bruins swept the remaining three matches including the clinching point—21-11, 21-16—by Devon Newberry and Jaden Whitmash over Madelyn LaFollette and Daley McClellan on court two.
1. Lexy Denaburg/Abby Van Winkle (UCLA) def. Reagan Hope/Brooke Nuneviller (ORE) 21-14, 26-28, 15-11
2. Jaden Whitmarsh/Devon Newberry (UCLA) def. Daley McClellan/Madelyn LaFollette (ORE) 21-11, 21-16
3. Lea Monkhouse/Jessie Smith (UCLA) def. Alex Laita/Bea Wetton (ORE) 21-16, 21-16
4. Tessa Van Winkle/Peri Brennan (UCLA) def. Ella Tyus/Ashley Schroeder (ORE) 26-28, 21-16, 15-10
5. Marlie Monserez/Rileigh Powers (UCLA) def. Savannah Siegrist/Ally Haden (ORE) 21-9, 21-11
6. Pani Napoleon/Katie Hashman (UCLA) vs. Zoe Almanza/Batia Rotshtein (ORE) 21-15, 15-11 | exhibition
Order of finish: 1, 4, 2*, 3, 5 | * – clincher
Match 2 | #1 USC 5, Oregon 0
The defending national champion Trojans swept their way through the scoring five, securing final dual of the weekend with wins on courts one, two and four. In the No. 1 spot, Hope and Nuneviller came up just short in a 24-22 loss in the opening set before the Trojans' Tina Graudina and Hailey Harward posted the straight-set win.
1. Tina Graudina/Hailey Harward (USC) def. Reagan Hope/Brooke Nuneviller (ORE) – 24-22, 21-11
2. Megan Kraft/Sammy Slater (USC) def. Madelyn LaFollette/Daley McClellan (ORE) – 21-12, 21-14
3. Delaynie Maple/Julia Scoles (USC) def. Alex Laita/Bea Wetton (ORE) – 21-13, 24-22
4. Audrey Nourse/Nicole Nourse (USC) def. Chloe Brown/Batia Rotshtein (ORE) – 21-11, 21-8
5. Mollie Ebertin/Sunny Villapando (USC) def. Ashley Schroeder/Ella Tyus (ORE) – 21-18, 21-12
6. Paige Hammons/Shannon Scully (USC) def. Ally Haden/Savannah Siegrist (ORE) – 21-9, 21-15 | exhibition
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 2*, 3, 5 | * – clincher
For more news and information about Oregon beach volleyball, follow @OregonBeachVB on Instagram and @OregonVB on Twitter.