Huskies Keep Improving At Pac-12 North Invite
STANFORD, Calif. – The Huskies showed more signs of continued progress today despite a pair of losses to close out the Pac-12 North Invitational. In the first match against third-ranked UCLA, the Dawgs had four sets at 21-17 or closer despite the 5-0 final score. Then against Arizona State, the Dawgs won at the one and two spots in the lineup but a couple third set losses proved the difference in a 3-2 defeat.
Washington (7-13) will get to play at home next week for the one and only time this season, at Alki Beach next Saturday and Sunday against Hawaii, Oregon, and Portland.
Match 1 - UCLA
Taking on the third-ranked Bruins for the first time this season, the Huskies tried several new pairs and found solid success with them, but couldn't pick off any of the UCLA pairs.
Paloma Bowman and Scarlett Dahl teamed for the first time at No. 2, and they pushed Newberry/Whitmarsh to extra points in the second before falling, 21-17, 24-22. Natalie Robinson and Chloe Loreen suffered their only loss in four matches this week in a 21-15, 21-18 match at No. 1 against Van Winkle and Denaburg.
Kyra Petersen and Audra Wilmes played together for the first time at No. 3, dropping a 21-16, 21-10 match, and Hannah Yerex and Maeve Griffin were another new pair at four, with UCLA's Myszkowski/Moore earning a 21-12, 21-15 win. At No. 5, Olivia Mikkelsen and Ashley Shook hung with Monserez/Powers but lost a 21-14, 21-17 decision.
Match 2 – Arizona State
The Huskies met the Sun Devils for the second time this season, and nearly reversed the outcome but fell one point short. The Sun Devils had won the first match, 4-1, but Washington got one point closer this time and could have swung it with a third set win on courts three or four, but ASU came through tonight.
Loreen and Robinson improved to 2-0 against ASU this season at No. 1, but needed a marathon second set win to beat Flood/Sweeney, 21-11, 29-27.
Dahl and Bowman then got their first win together, 21-14, 21-19, over Bordis/Pemberton, at the No. 2 spot.
Petersen and Wilmes lost a three-setter at No. 3, 21-7, 15-21, 15-8, against Waters/Kael, and Griffin and Emma Calle fell 19-21, 21-7, 15-6, at No. 4 against Fitzgerald/Wickley. Shook/Mikkelsen also lost a tight first set, 20-22, then ASU's Ames/Salazar pulled away for a 21-12 second set win for the point on five.
Washington Beach Volleyball
Pac-12 North Invitational
April 10, 2022
Washington – 0
No. 3 UCLA – 5
1. Van Winkle/Denaburg (UCLA) def. Loreen/Robinson (UW) – 21-14, 21-18
2. Newberry/Whitmarsh (UCLA) def. Bowman/Dahl (UW) – 21-17, 24-22
3. Monkhouse/Smith (UCLA) def. Petersen/Wilmes (UW) – 21-16, 21-10
4. Myszkowski/Moore (UCLA) def. Yerex/Griffin (UW) – 21-12, 21-15
5. Monserez/Powers (UCLA) def. Mikkelsen/Shook (UW) – 21-14, 21-17
Order of finish: 4, 2, 5, 3, 1
Washington – 2
Arizona State – 3
1. Robinson/Loreen (UW) def. Flood/Sweeney (ASU) – 21-11, 29-27
2. Dahl/Bowman (UW) def. Bordis/Pemberton (ASU) – 21-14, 21-19
3. Waters/Kael (ASU) def. Petersen/Wilmes (UW) – 21-7, 15-21, 15-8
4. Fitzgerald/Wickley (ASU) def. Griffin/Calle (UW) – 19-21, 21-7, 15-6
5. Ames/Salazar (ASU) def. Shook/Mikkelsen (UW) – 22-20, 21-12
Order of finish: 1, 4, 2, 3, 5