Men's Tennis Wins at Arizona State
TEMPE, Ariz. – The Utah men's tennis team wrapped up another weekend of play this afternoon against Arizona State. After falling behind 2-0, the Utes answered back and won four straight singles matches, taking the match 4-2 over the Sun Devils.
The Sun Devils jumped out early on the Utes as they claimed the doubles point. On court three, Mathias Gavelin and Jayson Blando dropped their match 6-2. The doubles point was taken on court two, where ASU's duo downed Utes Francisco Bastias and Bruno Caula 6-3. On court one, Franco Capalbo and Geronimo Espin Busleiman held a lead of 4-3, but their match would go unfinished.
As the matches moved to singles play, the Utah squad looked to recover and claim another win. The match's outcome was not looking to favor the Utes when ASU secured their second point. Capalbo fell to Murphy Cassone on court one, 6-1, 6-1. This now placed ASU ahead 2-0. Despite the turmoil, the Utes secured the next four matches to clinch the match in their favor.
On court four, Gavelin awarded Utah with its first point of the day, taking the victory against ASU's Jacob Bullard, 6-3, 6-1. Soon after, teammate Caula closed the gap and tied the match with a 6-2, 6-1 win on court three. Utah's Bruno Krenn placed the Utes in the lead when he defeated George Stoupe 6-4, 7-5 on court five.
Utah clinched the match on court two, where Espin Busleiman took a decisive win. Espin Busleiman claimed a 6-4 victory in set one and battled in the second set. With the set tied at 6-6, Espin Busleiman and Fabien Salle would go to a tiebreaker that Espin Busleiman would win 7-4, taking the match and the set. To clinch the match, he claimed a 6-4, 7-6 (4) victory.
On court six, J. Blando dropped set one 6-2, won set two 6-4, and took the lead 4-2 in set three, but his match was unfinished.
#32 UTAH 4, #63 Arizona State 2
- Murphy Cassone (ASU) def. Franco Capalbo (UTAH) 6-1, 6-1
- Geronimo Espin Busleiman (UTAH) def. Fabien Salle (ASU) 6-4, 7-6(4)
- Bruno Caula (UTAH) def. Max McKennon (ASU) 6-2, 6-1
- Mathias Gavelin (UTAH) def. Jacob Bullard (ASU) 6-3, 6-1
- Bruno Krenn (UTAH) def. George Stoupe (ASU) 6-4, 7-5
- Jayson Blando (UTAH) vs. Nicola Signa (ASU) 2-6, 6-4, 4-2, unf.
- Franco Capalbo/Geronimo Espin Busleiman (UTAH) vs. Murphy Cassone/Jacob Bullard (ASU) 4-3, unf.
- Christian Lerby/George Stoupe (ASU) def. Francisco Bastias/Bruno Caula (UTAH) 6-3
- Fabien Salle/Nicola Cigna (ASU) def. Mathias Gavelin/Jayson Blando (UTAH) 6-2
The Utes return home to host USC this Friday, April 15, at the George S. Eccles Tennis Center. The match will begin at 3 p.m. MT.
FOLLOW THE UTES!
Fans can follow along during the 2022 season on social media (Twitter: @UtahTennis | Instagram: @UtahTennis | Facebook: Facebook.com/Utahmenstennis).