No. 16 ASU softball sweeps No. 14 Oregon in Eugene to extend win streak to 17
EUGENE, Ore.- No. 16 Arizona State Softball (28-5, 9-0 Pac-12) had a four-run third inning while being down against No. 14 Oregon (24-11, 4-8 Pac-12) in ongoing rain as the Sun Devils ultimately defeated the Ducks, 8-6. Sunday afternoon's win extends the program's winning streak to 17-games and their third conference series sweep of the season.
Junior outfielder Jazmine Hill continued upon a successful weekend of hitting as she hit her first career grand slam and the 10th homer of the season, matching her career high in home runs in a season. This put ASU ahead 4-2 in the top of the third inning.
Nothing more grand than what we just saw from @Jazmine_h77 🥵
— Sun Devil Softball (@ASUSoftball) April 10, 2022
In the next inning, Sanders hit a three-run moonshot to center field, tacking on another home run on the weekend for the Sun Devils for a total of eight. In the final inning, senior catcher Jessi Puk had a single RBI to bring in Emily Cazares.
Freshman Mac Morgan got the pitching start for the Sun Devils where she lasted through two outs in the second inning, before Allison Royalty came in for relief to get the final out to shut the Ducks down in a scoreless inning.
Marissa Schuld came in to relieve Royalty in the bottom of the third, where she pitched the rest of the game. She finished with four strikeouts and no walks while picking up her ninth win of the season.
After Sunday's game, the Sun Devils are the number one team in the Pac-12 all alone. Additionally, the program has swept the two Oregon schools in conference play after winning three of four games against Oregon and Oregon State last season.
Hill led the weekend with seven RBI, three home runs, four hits and five runs in 11 at-bats. Jazmyn Rollin (1.000) joined Hill (1.182) as the only two Sun Devils with above 1.000 SLG%.
The Sun Devils dominated the Ducks in getting themselves on base, and to home. ASU had 26 RBIs in 26 hits while their opponent had 12 RBIs with 25 hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Arizona State 8, Oregon 6
- Oregon struck first with a double in the bottom of the first inning to put it ahead 1-0. The Ducks were able to get another run off of a single to make it 2-0.
- Emily Cazares reached base on an error in the top of the second, but was left stranded, where the Sun Devils remained scoreless. In Oregon's half of the second inning, Royalty came in to pitch where she helped keep the second inning scoreless for both teams.
- With one out, Sanders walked to load the bases for ASU in its half of the third game. Hill was next up to bat where she hit a grand slam for the Sun Devils to push them ahead 4-2.
- A single by Oregon brought them back within one of Arizona State, 4-3, in the bottom of the third.
- Cydney Sanders hit a three-run home run to center field, bringing in Alynah Torres and Yannira Acuña after they each had singles to get on base in the top of the fourth. The Ducks had a sacrifice fly to left field to bring in another run making it 7-4.
- The Sun Devils did not score in the top of the fifth and Schuld struck two of her batters in the bottom of the frame to keep the inning scoreless for both teams.
- Sanders walked to get her team on base in ASU's half of the inning, but was left stranded. In the bottom of the sixth, Oregon hit a two-run home run out to left field to be within one run, 7-6.
- Cazares stole second base in the top of the seventh inning, where play had to pause due to inclement weather. Jessi Puk had an RBI single to give ASU an insurance run to lead 8-6.
Sun Devil Softball is back home for the first time since March 20 as they host Utah Thursday, April 14 - Saturday, April 16. All three games will be televised on ASU Live Stream found on Pac-12.com.
Fans can keep up with all the news and action of ASU softball this weekend and the rest of the season by following @ASUSoftball on Twitter and Facebook and @SunDevilSB on Instagram.
Game 1: Friday 4/8 5:00 p.m. MST Sun Devils 9, Oregon 3
Game 2: Saturday 4/9 6:00 p.m. MST Sun Devils 9, Oregon 4
Game 3: Sunday 4/10 12:00 p.m. MST Sun Devils 8, Oregon 6
USA Softball/ESPN.com - 13
NFCA/USA Today - 16
Softball America - 13
D1 Softball - 13