Rowing Defeats a Pair of Top-20 Teams on Day Two of Pac-12 Invite
HENDERSON, Nev. – The Washington State rowing team defeated a pair of top-20 teams to cap off its weekend on Lake Las Vegas at the Pac-12 Invitational.
Teams had to wait out a nearly three-hour wind delay before getting the second day of the Pac-12 Invitational started. The delay did not phase the Cougars, as Washington State finished second in the first varsity eight race and third in both the second varsity eight and first varsity four races.
"The team performed well today and took care of business," said WSU Rowing Head Coach Jane LaRiviere. "We will take a day to regroup and then start focusing on our next mission. Big thanks to Jim Anderson, the officials, and the Lake Las Vegas rowing community for hosting a great regatta."
The Cougars posted a second-place finish in the 1V8+ race, as WSU finished ahead of No. 12 Southern California and No. 19 Alabama. Washington State timed in at 7:03.03 to post its second-consecutive second-place finish in a 1V8+ race at this weekend's Pac-12 Invitational.
The 1V4+ nearly knocked off No. 8-ranked Washington in it race, as the Cougars finished 0.45 seconds behind the Huskies. WSU clocked in at 7:47.21 to take third place, while finishing 23.48 seconds ahead of No. 19-ranked Alabama. Washington State finished third in the 2V8+ race with a time of 7:44.61 to once again knock off the Crimson Tide.
The second varsity four boat concluded the Pac-12 Invitational with a fourth-place finish in its race. The Cougars clocked in at 8:00.91.
Washington State will now make a cross-country trip to Sarasota, Florida to compete in the 2022 Big Ten Invitational. The two-day regatta will take place April 15-16 at Nathan Benderson Park.
For more information on the Washington State rowing team, follow @WSUCougarRowing on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
1) No. 12 Southern Cal – 7:32.36
2) No. 8 Washington – 7:34.63
3) Washington State – 7:44.61 (Meg Montgomery, Laurita Nemeraviciute, Fiona Elliott, Samantha Schmidt, Jessica Horrigan, Amy Patten, Sydney Wick, Grace Trujillo, Coxswain: Ella Greenslade)
4) No. 19 Alabama – 7:49.82
1) No. 8 Washington – 6:58.81
2) Washington State – 7:03.03 (Caitlin Donaldson, Maddy Pollard, Ilaria Macchi, Lucy Climer-Kennedy, Gabby Hannen, Emma Barrett, Kateryna Maistrenko, Coxswain: Ainsley Tiernan)
3) No. 12 Southern Cal – 7:06.07
4) No. 19 Alabama – 7:12.03
1) No. 12 Southern Cal – 7:39.18
2) No. 8 Washington – 7:47.16
3) Washington State – 7:47.61 (Molly Miller, Isabella Jachymek, Jess Schneider, Cate Field, Coxswain: Grace Sonnichsen)
4) No. 19 Alabama – 8:06.13
1) California - 7:51.89
2) SMU - 7:58.86
3) Southern Cal - 8:00.43
4) Washington State – 8:00.91 (Anna Bledsoe, Hana Anderson, Hannah Elliott, Tannith Johnson, Coxswain: Audrey Gulig)