Two Wins Cap Off Pac-12 North For Sand Devils
STANFORD, Calif. – It was two duals, two wins for Sun Devil Beach Volleyball on Sunday as Arizona State swept Utah before winning a close 3-2 battle against Washington to wrap up the Pac-12 North Invitational.
Arizona State got back to .500 after the wins today, improving to 13-13 (5-6 Pac-12). The No. 3, 4 and 5 pairs all went undefeated today. The pairs of sophomore Kate Fitzgerald and freshman Kylie Wickley at court four and sophomore Taryn Ames and senior Maddy Salazar on five were the winningest pairs this weekend, both matching the team record of 3-1.
Fifth-year senior Cierra Flood moved up in the record book for career wins, upping her total to 61 to put her in a tie for second place..
Game One: Arizona State 5, Utah 0
Arizona State earned its fourth sweep of the season by beating Utah (8-14, 1-6). The Sand Devils got off to a slow start with the No. 2 and No. 4 pairs in the first wave dropping their first sets. But both duos rallied to force a third and ultimately take their matches and put ASU up 2-0 after the first wave. The next three matches were all dominant wins as each pair won in straight sets, three of the sets winning by 10 or more points.
Results (Order of Finish: 2, 4, 5*, 1, 3)
1) Cierra Flood/Lexi Sweeney (ASU) def. Messier/Patchell (UTAH) 21-14, 21-11
2) Lila Bordis/Anya Pemberton (ASU) def. Andrews/Vezzani (UTAH) 16-21, 21-15, 15-9
3) Rylie Kael/Sarah Waters (ASU) def. Koch/Leight (UTAH) 21-9, 21-18
4) Kate Fitzgerald/Kylie Wickley (ASU) def. Daniel/Sayre (UTAH) 19-21, 21-18, 15-12
5) Taryn Ames/Maddy Salazar (ASU) def. Jacinto/Pitzak (UTAH) 21-18, 21-8
5??s clinch it!! They cruise to a 21-8 win in the second set to seal the dual ??
— Sun Devil Beach VB (@SunDevilBeachVB) April 10, 2022
Game Two: Arizona State 3, Washington 2
The Sun Devils beat the Huskies (7-13, 3-8 Pac-12) for the second time this season. The format for this dual was three waves, with the final match being the No. 5 pairs. The dual was tied at 2-2 when it was time for Ames and Salazar to take the court. ASU's two points thus far had come in three-set matches, but the one to clinch was in straight sets.
Results (Order of Finish: 1, 4, 2, 3, 5*)
1) Robinson/ Loreen (UW) def. Cierra Flood/Lexi Sweeney (ASU) 21-11, 29-27
2) Dahl/ Bowman (UW) def. Lila Bordis/Anya Pemberton (ASU) 21-14, 21-19
3) Rylie Kael/Sarah Waters (ASU) def. Peterson/Wilmes (UW) 21-7, 15-21, 15-8
4) Kate Fitzgerald/Kylie Wickley (ASU) def. Calle/Griffin (UW) 19-21, 21-7, 15-6
5) Taryn Ames/Maddy Salazar (ASU) def. Mikkelson/Shook (UW) 22-20, 21-12
The regular-season finale is also the home finale as Arizona State will host Ottawa and Park on Friday, April 15 at 10 a.m. and noon MST, both at the Sun Devil Beach Volleyball Facility.