Women’s Tennis Falls, 4-3, to No. 20 Arizona State
SALT LAKE CITY – The Utah Women's tennis team was defeated by 20th ranked Arizona State, 4-3, on Sunday afternoon at the George S. Eccles Tennis Center.
"We did not do a good job of executing in the doubles point, and that is not the standard that we expect of ourselves to start the match," stated head coach Ric Mortera. "I am happy for Linda getting a solid win against a ranked opponent as well as Emily and Anastasia gutting through some tough matches to get the win in their spots. Ultimately the team result is what matters most, and we are disappointed. That being said, we want to focus all of our attention on having a great final week of our regular season and hopefully sending our seniors off the right way next weekend."
In doubles, Linda Huang and Madison Tattini went head to head with the 21st ranked doubles team of Patricija Spaka and Domenika Turkovic and were defeated 6-1. Finishing second, Emily Dush and Madeline Lamoreaux lost to ASU team Giulia Morlet and Sedona Gallagher, 6-1, allowing the Sun Devils to take the doubles point. Lindsay Hung and Anastasia Goncharova's match was left unfinished, but they were tied at 3-3 with their opponents.
Hung finished first in singles losing to Arizona State player Sedona Gallagher, 6-2, 6-0. Ending closely behind her, Anya Lamoreaux was defeated by Argyrokastriti, 6-3, 6-1, putting the Sun Devils ahead 3-0.
Huang won against 95th ranked player Giulia Morlet, 6-4, 7-5, earning the Utes their first point of the match.
Tattini lost to ASU player, Patricija Spaka, after taking the first set to a 7-point tiebreaker, 7-6(4), 6-0.
Earning another point for the Utes was Emily Dush. She took the first set 6-3 but dropped set two, 6-2. In the third set, Dush came back and earned a 6-3 victory.
In the last match of the day, Goncharova won her first set in a 7-point tiebreaker, 7-6(6). She was then narrowly defeated in the second set, 7-5, sending the match to a 10-point tiebreaker. Goncharova clinched the last Utah point of the day, winning 10-8.
No. 20 Arizona State 4, No. 53 Utah 3
1. No. 21 Patricija Spaka/Domenika Turkovic (ASU) def. Linda Huang/Madison Tattini (UT), 6-1
2. Giulia Morlet/Sedona Gallagher (ASU) def. Emily Dush/Madeline Lamoreaux (UT), 6-1
3. Lindsay Hung/Anastasia Goncharova (UT) vs. Cali Jankowski/M. Argyrokastriti (ASU), 3-3 unfinished
Order of Finish: 1,2
1. Linda Huang (UT) def. No. 95 Giulia Morlet (ASU), 6-4, 7-5
2. Emily Dush (UT) def. Domenika Turkovic (ASU), 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
3. Sedona Gallagher (ASU) def. Lindsay Hung (UT), 6-2, 6-0
4. Anastasia Goncharova (UT) def. Cali Jankowski, 7-6 (6), 5-7, 10-8
5. Patricija Spaka (ASU) def. Madison Tattini (UT), 7-6 (4), 6-0
6. M. Argyrokastriti (ASU) def. Anya Lamoreaux (UT), 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: 3,6,1,5,2,4
Utah returns to action on Saturday, April 16, when they host Colorado for Senior Day. This is the final match of the regular season. The match will start at 12 p.m.
FOLLOW THE UTES!
Fans can follow along during the 2022 season on social media (Twitter: @UteWomensTennis | Instagram: @UtahWomensTennis | Facebook: Facebook.com/Utahwomenstennis).