Utah Women's Basketball Season Recap
The Utah women's basketball team wrapped up a successful 2021-22 season that saw the Utes win 21 games and reach new heights. The Utes advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2011 and made it to the Pac-12 Tournament championship game for the first time in program history.
Utah was the highest-scoring team in the Pac-12 (17th NCAA), averaging 75.9 points per game, and is the fourth-highest figure in school history and the highest since 1980-81. Utah also led the Pac-12 in three-pointers made (7th NCAA; school-record 312), three-point attempts (7th NCAA; 876), assists per game (39th NCAA; 15.3), free throws made (18th NCAA; 469), and free throw attempts (43rd NCAA; 602).
A year for the books, and we will continue to aim for new heights. ??
— Utah Women's Basketball (@UTAHWBB) April 7, 2022
For the first time since the 2010-11 season, the Utes advanced to the NCAA Tournament.|
- The Utes earned the seventh seed in the Spokane Regional. This was the second time that Utah had earned the seventh seed in program history.
- This was the 18th overall appearance in the NCAA Tournament and the first under head coach Lynne Roberts.
A GREAT DAY TO BE A UTE! ?? pic.twitter.com/F0jhkBY24e
— Utah Women's Basketball (@UTAHWBB) March 14, 2022
FRESHMAN OF THE YEAR
Gianna Kneepkens is the second player since the Utes joined the Pac-12 to earn Freshman of the Year honors.
- She is the first to claim the award since 2019.
- This season and earned five Pac-12 Freshman of the Week honors.
- Kneepkens led the Utes in scoring nine times this season and scored in double-figures a team-high 17 times.
- She has hit at least one three-pointer in 26 of the 27 games the Utes have played this season.
- In Pac-12 play, Kneepkens led the Utes in scoring and was second in rebounding.
— Utah Women's Basketball (@UTAHWBB) March 1, 2022
Gianna Kneepkens earned Freshman of the Year, All-Pac-12 First Team, and All-Freshman Team, while Kennady McQueen earned Pac-12 honorable mention honors and Jenna Johnson earned All-Freshman honors.
- Kneepkens is also the first player to take home All-Pac-12 First Team honors since 2019, when Megan Huff earned the recognition. Kneepkens also earned Pac-12 All-Freshman honors.
- McQueen earned her first All-Pac-12 honorable mention nod this season. She ranks second in the Pac-12 in three-point field goal percentage (45.5) and ranked tenth in the Pac-12, making three-point field goals with 46.
- Johnson claimed three Pac-12 Freshman of the Week honors this season, including the final award of the season. Johnson has the fifth-best shooting percent in the Pac-12, shooting 53.2 percent.
Utah had its best showing in the Pac-12 Tournament this season. The Utes have advanced to the Pac-12 Tournament championship game for the first time in school history. Utah advanced to the finals following an 80-73 victory over Oregon. This is the first time in program history that Utah has won multiple games at the Pac-12 Tournament.
- Throughout the Pac-12 Tournament, the Utes had three players lead the Pac-12 in statistical categories. Gianna Kneepkens led the Pac-12 Tournament in scoring as she scored 56 points over the Utes in four games. She averaged 14.0 points per game over the Tournament.
- She was not alone, as Kelsey Rees led the Tournament with 31 rebounds. Rees closed out the Tournament with a 10-rebound performance in the Championship game. She averaged 7.8 rebounds per game over the Utes' four games.
- Dru Gylten dished out 18 assists during the Tournament, the most by any player. She averaged. 4.5 assists per game.
Utah's underclassmen led the team in scoring this season as a trio of Freshman, Gianna Kneepkens, Jenna Johnson, and Inês Vieira led the team with 905 points as a class. They scored 36 percent of the points for the Utes this season.
- The trio led the Utes in scoring in 22 of the 33 games played this season.
- They scored in double-figures 40 times this season, with Kneepkens leading the way 20 times.
- As a class, the Freshman led the team in scoring in 17 games this season. In a neutral site contest, they scored a season-high 47 points against Eastern Illinois.
Utah has hit nine or more three-pointers in 19 of its 32 games this season, including hitting 19 threes against Lipscomb to open the season. The 19 threes set a school record.
- Utah has hit eight or more threes in 87 games under the direction of Lynne Roberts, going 63-25 in those games. Utah has made 8+ threes in 19 games this season, including 11 with 10+ (19 vs. Lipscomb, 11/10, 14 vs. Xavier, 11/13, 12 at Hawaii, 11/27, 16 vs. Eastern Illinois, 11/27, 12 vs. BYU, 12/4, 15 vs. Cal State Fullerton, 12/10, 12 vs. UC Riverside, 11/14, 11 vs. #2/#3 Stan-ford, 1/16, 14 vs. USC 2/9, 10 at UCLA, 2/30, 15 vs. Arkansas, 3/18).
- The Utes made 10+ three-pointers in a four-game stretch from Nov. 27 to Dec. 10.
- This season, the Utes hit a school-record 312 threes, the seventh most in the NCAA. This was the first time they hit over 300 threes in a season in program history.
SELECT PLAYER HIGHLIGHTS
5 :: Gianna Kneepkens :: 5-11 :: Guard :: Freshman
• Was named Pac-12 Freshman of the Year. This is only the second time a player has garnered this award in program history.
• Earned Pac-12 All-Tournament honors following the Pac-12 Tournament, becoming the first Ute to earn this honor.
• Scored 16 points on 6-of-9 shooting against Arkansas (3/18) and had seven rebounds.
• Was a perfect 3-for-3 on three-pointers in the victory against Arkansas (3/18)
• Led all players in the Pac-12 Tournament in scoring as she scored 56 points.
• Scored 24 points in the Pac-12 Tournament Semifinals win over Oregon (3/4)
• Made collegiate debut on Nov. 10 against Lipscomb
• Earned her fifth Pac-12 Freshman of the Week honors following the contests against USC, at No. 2 Stanford, and Cal.
• Was named Pac-12 Freshman of the Week for the fourth time this season, following a three-game week against then-No. 19 Oregon and two contests against Colorado.
• Earned her third Pac-12 Freshman of the Week honors on 1/24 following an outstanding Pac-12 road trip to then-No. 10 Arizona and Arizona State.
• Named Pac-12 Freshman of the Week (12/6) for her performance against BYU and again on (12/27) for her performance against Oklahoma
• Earned her fifth Pac-12 honors of the Week on Monday (2/14) for her performance against USC, #2 Stanford, and Cal.
• Came off the bench and scored a career-high 29 points in the contest against BYU (12/4). She shot 52 percent from the floor and tied a career-high four three-pointers in the contest.
10 :: Dru Gylten :: 5-11 :: Guard :: Senior
• Gylten has started in every game she has appeared in (104).
• Dished out a season-high 11 assists in the win over Arkansas (3/18) in the NCAA Tournament. The 11 assists tied for the most by a single player in Utah program history in a single NCAA game.
• With her 11 assists against Arkansas (3/18), Gylten moved into 4th all-time on the career assists list at Utah.
• Led all players in the Pac-12 Tournament with 18 assists
• Gylten earned Preseason Pac-12 All-Conference honorable mention honors as voted on by the league's media members.
• Gylten leads the Pac-12 and is 31st in the nation in assists per game (5.2). She ranks first in the Pac-12 with 147 assists on the season.
• Has tallied five or more assists in 18 games this season.
• Dished out five or more assists in three of the four Pac-12 Tournament games. She had back-to-back five assists games in the semifinals (vs. Oregon, 3/4) and championship (vs. Stanford, 3/6).
22 :: Jenna Johnson :: 6-2 :: Forward :: Freshman
• Earned Pac-12 All-Tournament honors, becoming the first Ute to earn these honors.
• Earned Pac-12 All-Freshman team honors.
• Scored in double-figures against Arkansas (3/18) with 12 points.
• Tied a career-high with three assists against Cal (3/2) in the first round of the Pac-12 Tournament
• Made her collegiate debut against Lipscomb (11/10) while making the first start of her career.
• Named Pac-12 Freshman of the Week honors for her performance against Oregon State and Oregon on 2/27
• Earned her second Pac-12 Freshman of the Week honors on 1/17 for her performance against #2/#3 Stanford.
• Was named Pac-12 Freshman of the Week on 12/13 for her performance against Cal State Fullerton.
• Scored a career-high 27 points and field goals made (10) against Oregon (2/26)
• Returned from injury at UCLA (2/20) and scored 20 points on 5-of-10 shooting
• Made a career-high eight free throws at UCLA (2/20)
• Tallied 16 points, five rebounds, and two assists against USC (2/9) in 16 minutes.
• Lead the team in scoring for her seventh time on the season against Stanford with 15 points.
• Led the team in scoring for her sixth time this season against UC Riverside (1/14) as she scored 18 points.
• Tied a career-high with three made three-pointers against UC Riverside (1/14).
• Collected her first collegiate double-double (23 points & 10 rebounds), setting career-highs on 12/10.
• Picked up her second career double-double in the win over Utah Valley (12/18).
• Tallied a career-high 14 rebounds on 12/18 against Utah Valley
• Scored 21 points on 9-of-13 shooting against Utah Valley (12/18).
24 :: Kennady McQueen :: 5-10 :: Guard :: Sophomore
• Was named Pac-12 Honorable Mention selection
• Tied her career-high with six three-pointers in the NCAA Tournament against Arkansas (3/18). Her six threes are the second-most by a Ute in an NCAA Tournament game.
• Against Arkansas (3/18), she had 20 points, six rebounds, four assists, and one steal.
• Recorded her first collegiate double-double, 13 points, 11 rebounds, against Oregon in the Pac-12 Tournament (3/4)
• Set a career-high with 11 rebounds against Oregon (3/4) in the Pac-12 Tournament
• Made her first career start on Wednesday night (11/10) against Lipscomb.
• Returned from an injury on 1/14 in the win over UC Riverside
• Played a season-high 34 minutes against Cal in the first round of the Pac-12 Tournament (3/2)
• Set career-highs in points (22) and three-pointers made (6) against USC (2/9)
• Went 6-for-7 on threes against USC (2/9)
• Dished out a career-high four assists against USC (2/9)
• Tied her career-high with four steals at UCLA (2/20)
• Went 4-for-9 on threes at Cal (2/13)
• Played 31 minutes at Cal (2/13)
• Made a career-high five free throws against Oregon in the Pac-12 Semifinals (3/4)
• Led the team with seven rebounds against Oregon State (2/24)
Utah's women's basketball team takes on Cal tonight in Pac-12 tournament first-round game; Here's my feature on starting guard Kennady McQueen and her rise from small-town Utah to honorable mention all-conference:https://t.co/mkjZ9hsPoD
— Jay Drew (@JayDrewonUtes) March 2, 2022
34 :: Dasia Young :: 5-11 :: Forward :: Junior
• Joined the Utes after two years at the University of Tennessee Martin and earned her first start as a Ute on Nov. 10 against Lipscomb.
• Played a season-high 35 minutes at Cal (2/13)
• Scored her 700th career collegiate point at USC (2/18)
• Tallied seven rebounds in the victory over Arkansas (3/18)
• Scored with 13 points against Cal (2/13) on 5-of-11 shooting
• Scored a season-high 18 points against Colorado (1/28)
• For the second straight game, set a career-high for made threes. At Colorado (1/30), she hit five threes
• Went 3-for-4 on three-pointers against #2 Stanford (2/11)
• Led the team in scoring with 15 points at Colorado (1/30)
• Has made two or more threes in four of the last five games (1/28 to 2/9)
• Filled the stat sheets against the Buffaloes (1/28) with six rebounds, two steals, and an assist to go with 18 points.
• Hit two threes in the win over Washington State (2/6)
• Scored seven points and had five rebounds against the Ducks (1/26)
Follow the Utes!
Fans can follow along on social media (Twitter: @UtahWBB | Instagram: @UtahWBB | Facebook: Facebook.com/UtahWBB).