Bears Battle No. 24 Cardinal In Bay Area Clash
BERKELEY -- California returns to Berkeley and Levine-Fricke Field for a three-game conference clash against Bay Area rival Stanford this week. All three games will be carried on the Pac-12 Networks and will be streamed on the Pac-12 Now app with Jenna Becerra and Jordan Watkins on the call.
The Bears (22-17) head into the series at 4-8 in conference play after taking one of three games on the road at Utah last weekend, but have three wins against ranked Pac-12 opponents after taking two of three from then-No. 7 Washington in Berkeley and earning a win in Eugene at then-No. 12 Oregon. The Cardinal (26-10) are coming off of a series win against then-No. 2 UCLA last week, their first series win against the Bruins since 2013.
- Teams: California (22-17, 4-8 Pac-12) vs #24 Stanford (26-10, 5-4 Pac-12)
- Location: Levine-Fricke Field | Berkeley, Calif.
- First pitch: Thursday: 3 pm PT | Friday: 2 pm PT | Saturday: 2 pm PT
HOW TO FOLLOW
- Thursday: Live Stats | Pac-12 Networks | Live Stream: Pac-12 Now
- Friday: Live Stats | Pac-12 Networks | Live Stream: Pac-12 Now
- Saturday: Live Stats | Pac-12 Networks | Live Stream: Pac-12 Now
- Cal is 76-33 all-time against Stanford, but lost the most recent matchup, 3-1, on May 5, 2021 at Boyd & Jill Smith Family Stadium in Stanford.
- California is 4-8 in Pac-12 play after a series win over then-No. 7 Washington at Levine-Fricke Field March 18-20 and winning one of three at then-No. 12 Oregon March 25-27 before dropping three against then-No. 23 Oregon State April 1-3 and taking one of three at Utah last weekend.
- The Bears are second in the conference in hits (311) and fourth in home runs (44) through the first four weeks of Pac-12 play.
- Makena Smith leads the team with a .466 batting average and is tied for 10th in the Pac-12 with nine home runs even while missing 13 games due to injury.
- Smith has recorded a hit in 22 of 26 games played this season and is second on the team with 26 RBI.
- Tatum Anzaldo has been swinging a hot bat all season and is second in the conference in hits with 57. Anzaldo is hitting .419 on the season and has scored 28 runs.
- Acacia Anders was named the Pac-12 Freshman of the Week on March 21 after hitting two home runs in the series against UW, including a walk off shot on Saturday to secure Cal's first win over Washington since the 2016 season.
- Sona Halajian has been the definition of a two-way player all season. She is third in the conference with 14 wins in the circle and is third on the team with a .375 batting average while sitting tied for fourth in the Pac-12 with 11 home runs.