Cal Faces Off With Santa Clara
BERKELEY – The No. 12 Cal beach volleyball team will have their lightest weekend of the season as they play only one match, a Friday contest against Santa Clara. The Bears will take on the Broncos at 1 p.m. at the Santa Clara Beach Volleyball Courts.
This is only the second weekend of the year where Cal has only one day of competition, the other being the weekend of March 5, but Cal swept a doubleheader that day against San Jose State and UC Davis. The Bears will use their light week to gear up for the end of the season with the regular season finale next weekend followed by the Pac-12 Championship and NCAA Championship the following weekends.
CAL TAKES ON BRONCOS FOR SECOND TIME THIS YEAR
- The Bears will play their 30th match of the season on Friday as they take on Santa Clara for the second time this season.
- Cal won 5-0 earlier this year as the team's faced off at the Cal Poly Invitational in San Luis Obispo, CA. The Bears won in straight sets on four courts
- The Bears are 5-4 vs. Santa Clara all-time, but have won the past four meetings by a combined score of 19-1.
- Cal has not lost to Santa Clara since 2016.
- Santa Clara features Cal graduate Alexia Inman, Inman is fifth in Cal history with 64 career victories, she spent four years with the Bears. She received an extra year of eligibility due to the shortened COVID season in 2020 and elected to compete for Santa Clara as a graduate transfer. In the first matchup, Inman played at the second pair and was the lone Bronco to force Cal to a third set.
CAL ENTERS WEEKEND RANKED 12TH
- Cal has recorded 20 wins this year, which is the third-most wins in a season for the Cal program, trailing 2018 (24) and 2019 (22).
- The Bears are 12th in the most recent AVCA Coaches Poll.
- Cal was picked 11th in the Preseason AVCA Preseason Poll, but moved up one spot to No. 10 after the first week of action and were 10th for three weeks.
- The top-13 ranking continues a streak of being ranked in the top 13 of every poll since April 23, 2018. Cal has now spent 1444 consecutive days ranked in the top 13 of the AVCA Coaches Poll.
- The Bears have finished each of the past four seasons ranked in the top 12 of the final poll, including an 11th-place finish in the final poll of the 2021 season.
- The Bears are currently 10th in the Collegiate Beach Volleyball Preseason Committee Rankings.
- Cal is 19-2 against teams outside the top 10 of the rankings, including 4-1 against ranked teams.
- Cal has a new look this year as Meagan Owusu returns to coach the team after spending the 2020 season on maternity leave and leaving the team for the 2021 season.
- Cal welcomes eight newcomers to the team for this year including four transfers: All-American Ana Costa (Stetson), Ashley Delgado (Tulane), Natalie Martin (LSU) and Lexi McKeown (FSU).
- Cal pairs that incoming experience with a talented group of freshmen: Ella Dreibholz, Alena Korobko, Ella Sears and Alex Young-Gomez.
- Cal has used 24 different pairs this year, including seven this past weekend in four matches.
- Cal's lineup last weekend featured seven players in their first season with the team.
- The only players on Cal's team who were on the team in 2020 are Mima Mirkovic (113 matches),
For complete coverage of Cal beach volleyball, please follow the Bears on Twitter (@CalBeachVB), Instagram (@CalBeachVB) and Facebook (/CalBeachVolleyball/).