No. 15 USC Men’s Tennis Silences No. 22 San Diego 4-0
LOS ANGELES — The No. 15 USC men's tennis team hit the gas and put visiting No. 22 San Diego out of commission in taking the doubles point and tacking up straight-set singles wins to notch a 4-0 victory over the Toreros today at Marks Stadium. The nonconference win improves USC's overall record to 17-5 with one regular-season match remaining.
USC took control of things early with a solid push through doubles. At the top spot, USC's #12 Stefan Dostanic and Bradley Frye whipped up a 6-2 win over the Toreros' #9 Holmgren/Osorio on court one. Shortly after, Ryder Jackson and Samuel Rubell collected a 6-3 win on court three over Schaber/Norfeldt to pin that 1-0 lead on the board for the Trojans, suspending action on court two with Peter Makk and Lodewijk Weststrate closing in on a win there.
In singles, the teams split first sets, with the Trojans claiming opening sets on courts two, three and four. That Trojan trio would stay the course, each hauling in straight-set victories to lock up the shutout win for USC. Hitting the finish line first was freshman Ryan Colby, who stacked up a 6-4, 6-3 win over Iiro Vasa on court four to make it 2-0 Trojans. At the No. 3 spot, #49 Peter Makk hammered out a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Sacchitt Sharrma to set his Trojans up for a clincher. That would come care of Bradley Frye, who dispatched Gui Osorio 7-5, 6-2 from court two to put a stop to things with USC's 4-0 scoreline. That suspended play on the remaining three courts, including a tense three-set battle at the top spot between USC's #4 Stefan Dostanic and San Diego's #5 August Holmgren.
Next up for the Trojans is a regular-season finale at Utah. USC hits the road for a Pac-12 clash set for 3 p.m. MT on Friday (April 15) in Salt Lake City.
#15 USC 4, #22 San Diego 0
April 13, 2022 | Marks Stadium (Los Angeles, Calif.)
(1) #12 Dostanic/Frye (USC) def. #9 Holmgren/Osorio (USD) - 6-2
(2) Makk/Weststrate (USC) vs. Davies/Vasa (USD) - 5-4 susp.
(3) Jackson/Rubell (USC) def. Schaber/Norfeldt (USD) - 6-3
Order of finish: 1, 3
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #4 Stefan Dostanic (USC) vs. #5 August Holmgren (USD) - 3-6, 6-3, 1-2 susp.
(2) Bradley Frye (USC) def. Gui Osorio (USD) - 7-5, 6-2*
(3) #49 Peter Makk (USC) def. Sacchitt Sharrma (USD) - 6-3, 6-4
(4) Ryan Colby (USC) def. Iiro Vasa (USD) - 6-4, 6-3
(5) #99 Lodewijk Weststrate (USC) vs. Marvin Schaber (USD) - 2-6, 6-4, 2-0 susp.
(6) Samuel Rubell (USC) vs. Will Davies (USD) - 2-6, 6-4 susp.
Order of finish: 4, 3, 2*