No. 10 Softball Returns to Farrington to Face Utah
TEMPE, Ariz.- Riding on a 17-game win streak, No. 10 Arizona State (28-5, 9-0 Pac-12) will return to Farrington for the first time since March 20 to take on Utah (20-17, 4-5 Pac-12). The three matchups with the Utes will begin on Thursday at 7 p.m. on ASU Live Stream.
The next two games will be played on Friday at 6 p.m. and Saturday at 12 p.m., where both games will also be broadcasted on ASU Live Stream.
Head coach Trisha Ford has led the program to the top of Pac-12 standings for the first time since Jan. 5, 2012 and their best start in Pac-12 play (9-0) since 2008 with 43 home runs in just 17 games.
ASU traveled to Oregon over the weekend where it swept the Ducks in a three-game series. Offensively, the Sun Devils dominated Oregon in getting themselves on base as they had 26 RBIs in 26 hits while their opponent had 12 RBIs with 25 hits. The Sun Devils came from behind on Saturday night and had nine unearned runs to secure the series dub over the Ducks, had three homers in their first game Friday evening and secured the sweep on Sunday.
It was a successful time in the Pacific Northwest for junior Jazmine Hill after she compiled three home runs and seven RBIs over the weekend, earning her Pac-12 Player of the Week on Monday. Hill hit her first two-run home run of her career on Saturday and then went on to hit her first career grand slam in Sunday's rainy series finale. She is currently batting a .354 and her 10 home runs on the season ties her career high. Jazmyn Rollin had a dominant performance in Friday's series opener as she went 3 for 4 with two home runs, had a double and hit three RBIs.
Pitching also came clutch for the Sun Devils across the series as Mac Morgan picked up her team leading 13th win of the season and has won on her last 11 appearances in the circle. Marissa Schuld came to relieve in Saturday's game where she grabbed the last four outs for the Sun Devils earn the save and secure the win. She also pitched the rest of the game on Sunday after coming in at the third where she finished with four strikeouts and did not allow a walk.
Fans can keep up with all the news and action of ASU softball this weekend and the rest of the season by following @ASUSoftball on Twitter and Facebook and @SunDevilSB on Instagram.
- Sun Devil softball is riding on a 17-game winning streak that includes conference opponent sweeps over Oregon State, Arizona and Oregon. They currently sit all alone at the top of the conference almost a month into Pac-12 play.
- ASU traveled to Salt Lake City last April for a four-game series with the Utes where they won two of three games played after one of the games was canceled. One of those wins included a run-rule win as ASU looks to build upon its 41-20 all-time series record against Utah this weekend in Tempe.
- The 64 home runs on the season for the Sun Devils leads the conference and the team also leads the conference in RBIs with 225. The Sun Devils are also second in the conference in hitting with 234 as well as in walks with 119. The hot bats for the Sun Devils have them fifth in the nation in batting average with .337 and also leads the conference.
- ASU is second in the nation with a .650 slugging percentage.
- Sun Devils still rank fifth in the nation with 1.94 home runs per game.
- Yannira Acuña leads the Sun Devils with a .465 batting average and continues to lead the Pac-12 with that batting average and that percentage is also good for ninth in the country. She is also first in the conference with an on base percentage of .595.
- Cydney Sanders has the fourth highest batting average in the conference with a .429 and is third in the conference with an on base percentage of .566.
- Jazmyn Rollin leads the team with 12 home runs on the season, good for third in the conference and in the top 40 in the country.
- Marissa Schuld has 81 strikeouts to her four walks and leads the team with a 1.31 ERA. Schuld's three saves on the season are good for a tie for first in the conference and her ERA is sixth in the conference.
Game 1: Thursday 4/14 7:00 p.m. MST Live Stats | ASU Live Stream
Game 2: Friday 4/15 6:00 p.m. MST Live Stats | ASU Live Stream
Game 3: Saturday 4/16 12:00 p.m. MST Live Stats | ASU Live Stream
USA Softball/ESPN.com - T10
NFCA/USA Today - 13
Softball America - 10
D1 Softball - 11