Adams' Overtime Winner Leads Lacrosse Past Oregon
EUGENE, Ore. – Sun Devil Lacrosse pulled out another dramatic victory, defeating Oregon 11-10 in overtime on Friday night at Pape Field.
No. 23 Arizona State found themselves in a tightly contested matchup from the opening draw, with the host Ducks proving to be a formidable foe. Head Coach Tim McCormack's club found a way to move to 8-6 on the season, starting a program-best 6-2 in conference play.
The Maroon & Gold have Carley Adams largely to thank for the win, as she took over the game. The attacker finished with seven points, scoring four goals while dishing out three assists. She came through when her team needed her time and time again, but there was no bigger moment than with only 29 seconds left in the first overtime. Adams earned a free-position attempt, with sudden death format in effect and the next goal signaling victory. Despite the pressure, Adams delivered in the biggest of moments, scoring her second game-winning overtime goal of the season.
ASU's defense kept them in the game, particularly during a high intensity fourth quarter. They only allowed two goals to the Ducks in the fourth quarter, keeping the game even with several clutch stops that resulted in shot clock violations. Starting defenders Bella Gaspar, Gigi Gaspar, Sydney Payne, Paige McGlothlin, and Berit Brookfield teamed up with Katie Vahle to prevent the Ducks from ever regaining the lead.
The Sun Devils have a quick turnaround, heading to play Colorado in Boulder on Sunday, Apr. 20 at 11 AM MST. Arizona State will make their third appearance of the season on Pac-12 Network when the take on the Buffaloes in a highly anticipated matchup.
The game remained in the balance the entire second half, with both teams exchanging runs to try and take control. In a 10-10 battle, Katie Vahle came through with the biggest save of the day, giving her team a shot in overtime. Oregon attacker Shonly Wallace, who has already scored 30+ goals this season, had a free-position shot against the Sun Devil goalkeeper. The three-time Pac-12 Defender of the Week was up to the task, making the massive save and collecting the ensuring ground ball to secure possession for her team.
- Arizona State moves to 6-2 in conference the program's best eight-game start in Pac-12 play.
- The six conference wins are the most the program has achieved in a single season, surpassing last year's 5-4 mark which was the previous record.
- It is only the fifth time in program history the Sun Devils have played an overtime game.
- They move to 4-1 all-time in overtime games, including a 2-0 record this season.
- Carley Adams continues her tear, putting together another epic season in a Sun Devil uniform.
- She now has 35 goals and already a career-best 21 assists.
- Her seven-point day is her seventh career 7+ point performance.
- Over her last four games, the reigning Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week has compiled 23 points.
- Through her first two seasons, Adams played in 33 games and had 15 points (13 goals & 2 assists). Over her past 38 games, she has 157 points (111 goals & 46 assists).
- Taylor Pinzone registered yet another hat trick in a Sun Devil uniform.
- It is her sixth 3+ goal performance of the year.
- Through 14 games of her Sun Devil career, Taylor Pinzone already has 33 goals and eight assists (41 points).
- In 50 games at Northwestern, she had 34 goals and six assists (40 points).
- Emily Munro has enjoyed a ton of success against her former team.
- Not only has she now been a part of three straight wins over Oregon, but she has been a key contributor.
- In those three matchups, she has at least one goal in each, recording seven points.
- Arizona State has now defeated Oregon in five straight games dating back to the 2018 season.
Senior attacker Emily Munro
On the resiliency the team showed
"This win was awesome for our team. We showed how resilient we are and we're able to compete for the whole game. We've been in this situation on the road before, so we really just showed each other how tough we are."
On how special for her to have a major impact in a win at Pape Field
"This was a really special game to play in. I've spent a lot of time on that field and it felt really good to be there with this team and come away with a win."
On playing with a teammate like Carley Adams
"Carley is such a good teammate and a fun player to play with. She is so talented and I am so proud of her. She dug deep this game and was able to come up with huge goals when we needed them."
The second leg of the road trip sees the Maroon & Gold head to Boulder, looking for their first road win over Colorado on Sunday, Apr. 17 at 12 PM MST in showdown that will be featured on Pac-12 Network. More information on how to watch the game against the Buffaloes can be found here, with live stats also available.
PAC-12 CHAMPIONSHIP COMING TO TEMPE
Arizona State earned the chance to host the 2022 Pac-12 Lacrosse Championships, running May 4-7 in Tempe. Two first round matchups will take place on Wednesday, May 4 with the two semifinal showdowns following on Thursday, May 5. The Pac-12 Championship comes after an off day, hosted at Sun Devil Lacrosse/Soccer Stadium on Saturday, May 7. This is a way for the Sun Devils to control their own fate, as a win at the Pac-12 Lacrosse Championships means an automatic berth into the 2022 NCAA Lacrosse Tournament.
HOW TO FOLLOW
For in-game updates, follow our Twitter and Instagram accounts (@SunDevilWLax). Like our Facebook page (www.facebook.com/sundevilwlax/) for content throughout the season. Visit our website, TheSunDevils.com, for the latest updates and information on the program.