Men's Tennis Splits Friday's Doubleheader
EUGENE, Ore. – Oregon men's tennis went the distance with No. 14 Arizona this afternoon, falling just short 4-2. The Ducks and Wildcats traded points until the match was tied at 2-2, before Arizona took the next two points to clinch the match. In the evening match, Oregon swept Eastern Washington with ease, 6-0.
Match One: Oregon looked strong from the first serve, taking momentum early with a 6-2 win on court one from Joshua Charlton and Quinn Vandecasteele in doubles. Luke Vandecasteele and Youssef Kadiri looked strong on court three, but would come up short 6-4, leaving the deciding point to be determined on court two. Ivailo Keremedchiev and Jesper Klov-Nilsson traded points with the Wildcats duo, eventually coming away victorious 7-5, giving Oregon a 1-0 lead.
Arizona evened it up at 1-1 with the first singles win of the day coming from a 6-3, 6-2 win on court five. The Ducks would regain the lead with a big 6-0, 7-6(3) win from Klov-Nilsson on court four. Again, the Wildcats would tie it up with a 6-2, 7-5 victory on court two.
Momentum swung the way of the visitors after a 6-3, 6-3 win on court six. Oregon would need to win the last two, which were headed for a third set. Charlton looked strong down the stretch, but the match was decided on court three when Keremedchiev was defeated 3-6, 7-6(4), 6-1.
Match Two: Oregon and Eastern Washington went straight to singles in the evening matches, with Oregon making quick work of the Eagles. All six matches would be won by the Ducks in straight-sets, with victories on the day from Charlton, Q. Vandecasteele, Klov-Nilsson, L. Vandecasteele, Avi Shugar and Ryoma Matsushita.
Up Next: Oregon wraps up the regular season on Sunday as hosts to Arizona State at noon and Eastern Washington at 6:00 p.m. PT.
#14 University of Arizona 4, Oregon 2
1. Joshua Charlton (ORE) vs. Jonas Ziverts (ARIZ) 4-6, 7-6 (7-2), unfinished
2. Gustaf Strom (ARIZ) def. Quinn Vandecasteele (ORE) 6-2, 7-5
3. Colton Smith (ARIZ) def. Ivailo Keremedchiev (ORE) 3-6, 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
4. Jesper Klov-Nilsson (ORE) def. Herman Hoeyeraal (ARIZ) 6-0, 7-6 (7-3)
5. Carlos Hassey (ARIZ) def. Luke Vandecasteele (ORE) 6-3, 6-2
6. Nick Lagaev (ARIZ) def. Ryoma Matsushita (ORE) 6-3, 6-3
1. Joshua Charlton/Quinn Vandecasteele (ORE) def. Jonas Ziverts/Herman Hoeyeraal (ARIZ) 6-2
2. Ivailo Keremedchiev/Jesper Klov-Nilsson (ORE) def. Colton Smith/Jared Horwood (ARIZ) 7-5
3. Gustaf Strom/Carlos Hassey (ARIZ) def. Luke Vandecasteele/Youssef Kadiri (ORE) 6-4
University of Arizona 18-5; National ranking #14
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,4,2,6,3)
Oregon 6, Eastern Washington 0
1. Joshua Charlton (ORE) def. Jeremy Mueller (EWU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Quinn Vandecasteele (ORE) def. Wout Doumen (EWU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Jesper Klov-Nilsson (ORE) def. Manuel Balce (EWU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Luke Vandecasteele (ORE) def. Erik Sarlvik (EWU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Avi Shugar (ORE) def. Steven Paz (EWU) 7-5, 6-2
6. Ryoma Matsushita (ORE) def. Drew Dillon (EWU) 6-1, 7-5
Order of finish: Singles (1,2,4,6,3,5)