Card Beats Cal
BERKELEY, Calif. - The No. 16 Stanford Cardinal dropped the doubles point but rallied to win four straight singles matches, defeating No. 45 California across The Bay on Saturday afternoon.
The Golden Bears took wins on courts three and one in a tight doubles point, clinching court one in a tiebreak.
Stanford retaliated with first set wins on five different courts in singles, with Aryan Chaudhary evening the match at 1-1 on court six. He was quickly followed by No. 9 Arthur Fery on court one, 6-4, 6-3, before the Cardinal took a 3-1 edge behind a 6-4, 6-3 win on court two from No. 52 Max Basing.
No. 97 Alexandre Rotsaert clinched the victory on court four, winning the second set in a tiebreak for the Cardinal.
Stanford earned the No. 3 seed in next week's Pac-12 Tournament, which starts next week in Ojai, California.
1. No. 42 Yuta Kikuchi/Philip Hjorth (Cal) def. No. 64 Axel Geller/Tomas Kopczynski (Stanford), 7-6(4)*
2. Carl Emil Overbeck/Derrick Chen (Cal) vs. Max Basing/Arthur Fery (Stanford), 6-6 (Unfinished)
3. Sean Hill/Lucas Magnaudet (Cal) def. Alexandre Rotsaert/Sangeet Sridhar (Stanford), 6-3
Order of Finish – 3, 1
1. No. 9 Arthur Fery (Stanford) def. No. 66 Yuta Kikuchi (Cal), 6-4, 6-3
2. No. 52 Max Basing (Stanford) def. Philip Hjorth (Cal), 6-4, 6-3
3. Axel Geller (Stanford) vs. Sean Hill (Cal), 7-6(3), 4-3 (Unfinished)
4. No. 97 Alexandre Rotsaert (Stanford) def. Carl Emil Overbeck (Cal), 6-2, 7-6(5)
5. Sangeet Sridhar (Stanford) vs. Derrick Chen (Cal), 2-6, 6-4, 3-1 (Unfinished)
6. Aryan Chaudhary (Stanford) def. Lucas Magnaudet (Cal), 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish – 6, 1, 2, 4