No. 45 Cal Falls In Big Slam
BERKELEY - Saturday started off well for the No. 45 California men's tennis team, with the Golden Bears celebrating Sean Hill before his last regular-season home match and then winning the doubles point against No. 16 Stanford. But the Bears wound up with a 4-1 loss in the Big Slam at the Hellman Tennis Complex.
Cal's record is now 11-9 overall and 2-6 in the Pac-12, with the Bears finishing eighth in the conference's regular season. Stanford improved to 16-4 (6-2 Pac-12).
In doubles, Hill – a graduate student who'll complete a certificate in entrepreneurship this spring – partnered with Lucas Magnaudet to defeat Alexandre Rotsaert and Sangeet Sridhar, 6-3, on court three. The Bears clinched the point when the 42nd-ranked Yuta Kikuchi and Philip Hjorth edged Stanford's 64th-ranked Axel Geller and Tomas Kopczynski, 7-6(4).
Down 1-0, the Cardinal won four times in singles, with Rotsaert beating Carl Emil Overbeck, 6-2, 7-6(5) on court four to wrap up a 4-1 result against the Bears.
"We had the better energy in doubles, and that was fun," said Kris Kwinta, Cal's Peter Wright Director of Men's Tennis. "That's what carried us. I asked them for more energy in singles, and we didn't have it. Why, I don't understand. It's going to be a tough talk in the locker room."
Cal next plays in the Pac-12 Championship from April 20-23 in Ojai.
No. 16 Stanford (16-4, 6-2 Pac-12) defeated No. 45 California (11-9, 2-6 Pac-12), 4-1
April 16, 2022, in Berkeley, Calif.
Hellman Tennis Complex
1. Yuta Kikuchi/Philip Hjorth (Cal) def. No. 64 Axel Geller/Tomas Kopczynski (Stanford), 7-6(4)*
2. Carl Emil Overbeck/Derrick Chen (Cal) vs. Max Basing/Arthur Fery (Stanford), 6-6 (Unfinished)
3. Sean Hill/Lucas Magnaudet (Cal) def. Alexandre Rotsaert/Sangeet Sridhar (Stanford), 6-3
Order of Finish – 3, 1*
*Clinched the doubles point
1. No. 9 Arthur Fery (Stanford) def. No. 66 Yuta Kikuchi (Cal), 6-4, 6-3
2. No. 52 Max Basing (Stanford) def. Philip Hjorth (Cal), 6-4, 6-3
3. Axel Geller (Stanford) vs. Sean Hill (Cal), 7-6(3), 4-3 (Unfinished)
4. No. 97 Alexandre Rotsaert (Stanford) def. Carl Emil Overbeck (Cal), 6-2, 7-6(5)
5. Sangeet Sridhar (Stanford) vs. Derrick Chen (Cal), 2-6, 6-4, 3-1 (Unfinished)
6. Aryan Chaudhary (Stanford) def. Lucas Magnaudet (Cal), 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish – 6, 1, 2, 4^
^Clinched the overall match