Rowing Wraps Up the Big Ten Invitational
SARASOTA, Fla. – The No. 19-ranked Washington State rowing team's two-day stay at the Big Ten Invitational came to an end Saturday, April 16, as the Cougars collected three third-place finishes at Nathan Benderson Park.
WSU took on No. 7 Brown, No. 17 Rutgers, and Wisconsin on the second day of the Big Ten Invitational. The Cougars rounded out the two-day regatta by picking up a third-place finish in the 1V8+, 2V8+, and 1V4+ races.
"I am very proud of the way the Cougs handled the weekend," said WSU Rowing Head Coach Jane LaRiviere. "We faced several top-10 programs and we didn't fade, we rose to the challenge. The 1V8 improved with each race and learned there is more speed to be gained. The youthful 2V8 was solid and their trajectory should be steep. V4 got the job done. The conditions were quite variable but we handled that too. I think our confidence is growing and I am excited to see what we can accomplish in the next couple of weeks."
Washington State's 1V8+ boat clocked in at 6:24.268 in its final race of the weekend in Sarasota. The Cougars finished 2.8 seconds ahead of Wisconsin. No. 7 Brown won the 1V8+ race with a time of 6:15.485.
The 2V8+ also took third in its race, as the Cougs timing in at 6:38.400. WSU finished a remarkable 12.060 seconds ahead of Wisconsin.
WSU's 1V4+ boat completed the course at Nathan Benderson Park in 7:25.805 to take third place. Meanwhile, the 2V4+ took fourth in its race, clocking in at 7:28.138.
The Cougars return to competition on April 30, as Washington State will host Gonzaga at Wawawai Landing. Check back with WSUCougars.com for more details on the home regatta against the Bulldogs.
For more information on the Washington State rowing team, follow @WSUCougarRowing on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.
1) No. 7 Brown – 7:12.508
2) No. 17 Rutgers – 7:20.248
3) Wisconsin – 7:20.754
4) No. 19 Washington State – 7:28.138 (Anna Bledsoe, Tannith Johnson, Hannah Elliott, Hana Anderson, Coxswain: Audrey Gulig)
1) No. 7 Brown – 6:15.485
2) No. 17 Rutgers – 6:22.655
3) No. 19 Washington State – 6:24.268 (Caitlin Donaldson, Maddy Pollard, Ilaria Macchi, Jessica Norris, Lucy Climer-Kennedy, Gabby Hannen, Emma Barrett, Kateryna Maistrenko, Coxswain: Ainsley Tiernan)
4) Wisconsin – 6:27.068
1) No. 7 Brown – 6:24.744
2) No. 17 Rutgers – 6:33.114
3) No. 19 Washington State – 6:38.400 (Cate Field, Laurita Nemeraviciute, Fiona Elliott, Samantha Schmidt, Jessica Horrigan, Amy Patten, Sydney Wick, Grace Trujillo, Coxswain: Ella Greenslade)
4) Wisconsin – 6:50.460
1) No. 7 Brown – 7:14.078
2) No. 17 Rutgers – 7:21.432
3) No. 19 Washington State – 7:25.805 (Molly Miller, Meg Montgomery, Jess Schneider, Isabella Jachymek, Coxswain: Grace Sonnichsen)
4) Wisconsin – 7:30.598