Dawgs Fall To ‘Cats On Senior Day
SEATTLE – Clement Chidekh bounced right back from his first loss of 2022 with a dominant win over a top-50 singles player, but that was the only point the Huskies registered against a talented 13th-ranked Arizona team, which clinched the Pac-12 title today at UW's Bill Quillian Stadium. Washington honored seniors Jack Davis, Ewen Lumsden, and Jack Pulliam in a pre-match ceremony before playing the regular season finale.
Davis and Lumsden were able to get a big doubles win on court one to start things off today, beating 51st-ranked Hoeyeraal/Ziverts by a 6-2 score. But Arizona got wins on courts two and three to clinch the doubles point and take the 1-0 lead.
In singles, Chidekh bounced back from Friday's third-set tiebreak loss, and he put away 48th-ranked Jonas Ziverts, 6-2, 6-1, to tie the match at 1-1. But Arizona had won first sets on courts three through six.
Davis had won his first set on court two against 51st-ranked Gustaf Strom, but Strom won the second set, and the two did not get to finish in the third. Cesar Bouchelaghem was the one Husky to reverse things on his court, winning his second set 6-2 after losing the first, 4-6, and Bouchelaghem was up 2-0 in the third when the match stopped.
Arizona was able to clinch with second set wins on three, four, and six. Colton Smith topped Ewen Lumsden at No. 3, 6-3, 6-2. 82nd-ranked Herman Hoeyeraal held off Han-Chih Lin, 6-2, 6-4. And Jack Pulliam got the start at six but came up short, 6-3, 6-2, against Nick Lagaev.
Washington will head to the Pac-12 Championships next week in Ojai, Calif., looking to make a run to help its chances of making postseason play.
Washington Men's Tennis
April 17, 2022
Bill Quillian Stadium | Seattle, Wash.
#48 Washington – 1
#13 Arizona – 4
1. (#6) Clement Chidekh (UW) def. (#48) Jonas Ziverts (Ariz) – 6-2, 6-1
2. Jack Davis (UW) vs. (#51) Gustaf Strom (Ariz) – 6-4, 2-6, 0-1, DNF
3. Colton Smith (Ariz) def. Ewen Lumsden (UW) – 6-3, 6-2
4. (#82) Herman Hoeyeraal (Ariz) def. Han-Chih Lin (UW) – 6-2, 6-4
5. Cesar Bouchelaghem (UW) vs. Carlos Hassey (Ariz) – 4-6, 6-2, 2-0, DNF
6. Nick Lagaev (Ariz) def. Jack Pulliam (UW) – 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 4, 6
1. (#47) Davis/Lumsden (UW) def. (#51) Hoeyeraal/Ziverts (Ariz) – 6-2
2. Hassey/Strom (Ariz) def. (#61) Chidekh/Suko (UW) – 6-3
3. Smith/Malbasic (Ariz) def. Bouchelaghem/Lin (UW) – 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2