Split Leads to Third Place at Husky Invite
SEATTLE, Wash. – The Oregon beach volleyball team split a pair of matches and finished third Sunday at the Husky Invitational. After a tight morning loss, the Ducks capped their weekend in Seattle with a 5-0 win over Portland in the third-place match. Oregon is now 12-16 after winning three matches over the past two days.
The Ducks return to their home courts at Amazon Park for the team's regular-season finale—and Senior Day—on April 21. First serve is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. against Portland. The postseason begins April 27 at the Pac-12 Championship in Tucson, Ariz.
Match 1 | Washington 3, Oregon 2
The Ducks' No. 4 pairs of Ashley Schroeder and Ella Tyus continued their strong weekend with a 21-13, 21-14 win over Shook and Yerex to grab the first dual point. It was the duo's fourth win of the weekend in as many matches.
However, the host team responded with three in a row to secure the overall win. Washington clinched with a three-set win at No. 1 pairs. Reagan Hope and Brooke Nuneviller won a marathon first set (29-27) but the Huskies' Loreen and Robinson rallied for the decisive point.
Oregon went on to claim the final point with a 23-21, 20-22, 16-14 triumph by Ally Haden and Savannah Siegrist on court five. Sunday's semifinal loss was the Ducks' seventh 3-2 setback of the season. Oregon and Washington have now split four matches this year.
1. Loreen/Robinson (UW) def. Reagan Hope/Brooke Nuneviller (ORE) – 27-29, 21-15, 15-6
2. Bowman/Dahl (UW) def. Alex Laita/Bea Wetton (ORE) – 21-13, 19-21, 15-5
3. Mikkelsen/Wilmes (UW) def. Daley McClellan/Batia Rotshtein (ORE) – 22-20, 21-18
4. Ashley Schroeder/Ella Tyus (ORE) def. Shook/Yerex (UW) – 21-13, 21-14
5. Ally Haden/Savannah Siegrist (ORE) def. Calle/Petersen (UW) – 23-21, 20-22, 16-14
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 2, 1, 5
Match 2 | Oregon 5, Portland 0
The Ducks swept their way through the third-place match, picking up their 11th-consecutive win over the Pilots dating back to 2018. It also marked the third victory against Portland this season.
Daley McClellan and Batia Rotshtein got the scoring started with a 21-14, 21-9 triumph at No. 3 pairs. In another sweep, Schroeder and Tyus—5-for-5 this weekend—extended the match lead with a 21-15, 21-12 win on court four.
Haden and Siegrist clinched the dual with a straight-set win at No. 5 pairs, good for their second victory of the day. Oregon completed the 5-0 sweep with wins by Hope and Nuneviller, and Alex Laita and Bea Wetton on courts one and two, respectively.
1. Reagan Hope/Brooke Nuneviller (ORE) def. Bradley/Zilbert (UP) – 21-13, 21-18
2. Alex Laita/Bea Wetton (ORE) def. Helle/Helm (UP) – 21-14, 22-20
3. Daley McClellan/Batia Rotshtein (ORE) def. Lee/Strong (UP) – 21-14, 21-9
4. Ashley Schroeder/Ella Tyus (ORE) def. Mumolo/Stammberger (UP) – 21-15, 21-12
5. Ally Haden/Savannah Siegrist (ORE) def. Hawkens/Jackson (UP) – 21-13, 21-13
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 5, 2, 1
For more news and information about Oregon beach volleyball, follow @OregonBeachVB on Instagram and @OregonVB on Twitter.