Men's Tennis Earns Road Sweep of Weber State
OGDEN, Utah – The No. 53 UCLA men's tennis team earned a 4-0 win against Weber State Monday at Edman Tennis Courts.
Karl Lee, Stefan Leustian and Giacomo Revelli were triumphant on the singles courts for the Bruins (10-11), with Lee providing the clincher in three sets. Lee and Leustian also collaborated to clinch the doubles point. The Wildcats (7-16) earned one victory by way of tiebreaker in doubles play, but could not get on the scoreboard.
Jeffrey Fradkin and Bryce Pereira got the Bruins off on the right foot in doubles play with their first-ever win in tandem, rolling to a 6-2 decision over Bo-Han Li and Chia-Chieh Lin on Court 3. The Wildcats answered on the top court, however, as Jordan Coutinho and Elyes Marouani edged past Revelli and Patrick Zahraj in a 7-4 tiebreaker. The initial point was ultimately handed out on Court 2, which also ended in a tiebreaker. There, Lee and Leustian held off Sebastian Buxman and Tristan Sarap for a 7-3 difference and their third win in four tries.
Four singles first sets went the way of the Bruins. Revelli put on a commanding performance on Court 2, handing Marouani a 6-2, 6-3 loss. Revelli has now collected three straight-set singles victories in as many decisions.
Leustian held off Coutinho on Court 5 for the next result. A tiebreaker was needed in the second set, but Leustian ensured the match would end there. His 6-3, 7-6(3) win made it 3-0 in favor of UCLA.
Lee was first to finish his opening set successfully, but Sarap answered to force a third. Then, in the back-and-forth final frame, Lee prevailed for a 6-1, 4-6, 6-4 final margin.
The Bruins complete their regular season Tuesday, when they return home to face UC San Diego for a doubleheader. First serves from Los Angeles Tennis Center are scheduled for 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. PT.
Tennis Match Results
UCLA vs Weber State
4/18/2022 at Ogden, UT
(Edman Tennis Courts)
#53 UCLA 4, Weber State 0
1. Sebastian Buxman (WEB) vs. Patrick Zahraj (UCLA) 4-6, 7-5, 1-0, unfinished
2. Giacomo Revelli (UCLA) def. Elyes Marouani (WEB) 6-2, 6-3
3. Karl Lee (UCLA) def. Tristan Sarap (WEB) 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
4. Bo-Han Li (WEB) vs. Bryce Pereira (UCLA) 6-2, 4-6, 4-3, unfinished
5. Stefan Leustian (UCLA) def. Jordan Coutinho (WEB) 6-3, 7-6 (7-3)
6. Matteo Savio (WEB) vs. Jeffrey Fradkin (UCLA) 2-6, 6-2, 4-4, unfinished
1. Jordan Coutinho/Elyes Marouani (WEB) def. Giacomo Revelli/Patrick Zahraj (UCLA) 7-6 (7-4)
2. Karl Lee/Stefan Leustian (UCLA) def. Sebastian Buxman/Tristan Sarap (WEB) 7-6 (7-3)
3. Jeffrey Fradkin/Bryce Pereira (UCLA) def. Bo-Han Li/Chia-Chieh Lin (WEB) 6-2
UCLA 10-11; National ranking #53
Weber State 7-16
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (2,5,3)