Pac-12 Baseball Players of The Week - April 18, 2022
Pac-12 Baseball Player of the Week: Sean McLain, Arizona State
(RS So., INF - Tustin, Calif.)
4 GP, .688 AVG, .682 OBP, .813 SLG, 7 RBI, 8 R, 11 H, 1 SB
- Batted .688 on 11-of-16 hitting to lead ASU to a 4-0 record on the week, including a series sweep over USC. The sophomore had three hits in three of those games and two in the other.
- Lead ASU with seven RBIs and eight runs scored.
- The Pac-12 leader in defensive assists added 11 more and the shortstop was a perfect 20-for-20 on fielding chances.
- The Sun Devils scored 52 runs in the four games, including 31 against USC - the most the Trojans had allowed in any series since April 2018.
- Second time in the last four weeks that an Arizona State player has won this award with Ethan Long capturing the honor three weeks ago. First time McLain has won this award, but not the first in his family. His older brother, Matt, was named Pac-12 Player of the Week in March of 2020 for UCLA.
Pac-12 Baseball Pitcher of the Week: Quinn Mathews, Stanford
(Jr., LHP - Aliso Viejo, Calif.)
1 GP, 1-0, 7.0 IP, 0.00 ERA, 4 H, 3 BB, 8 K
- Third time this season that Mathews has won this award. First pitcher to be honored three times in the same season since UCLA's Ryan Garcia in 2019. First Stanford pitcher to capture this award three times in the same season since Mark Appel in 2013.
- Seven shutout innings to guide Stanford to its national-best seventh shutout of the year.
- Has earned the victory or save in each of his last six outings.
- Has tossed 7 innings in each of his last three starts and 7 shutout in each of his last two turns in the rotation.
- Has managed a quality start in five of his last six starts.
- Has gone 6+ innings without allowing a run in four of his seven starts this season.
- Back-to-back weeks for Stanford winning this award with Alex Williams taking it home last week.
Player of the Week: Nik McClaughry, ARIZ; Dom Souto, CAL; Colby Shade, ORE; Wade Meckler, OSU; Carter Graham, STAN; Jayden Kiernan, UTAH
Pitcher of the Week: Zac McCleve, UTAH; Trevor Long, ARIZ; Kyle Luckham, ASU; Tucker Bougie, CAL; Cooper Hjerpe, OSU; Cole McMillan, WSU