Jade Carey Named Finalist for Honda Award
CORVALLIS, Ore. – Oregon State freshman Jade Carey is among the final four candidates for the Honda Sport Award for Gymnastics as announced by the Collegiate Women Sports Awards (CWSA), Tuesday. The award goes to the top collegiate female athlete in 12 different sports each season.
The Honda Sports Award is presented annually by the CWSA to the top women athletes in 12 NCAA sanctioned sports and signifies "the best of the best in collegiate athletics". The winner of the sport award becomes a finalist for the Collegiate Woman Athlete of the Year and the prestigious 2022 Honda Cup. The nominees were chosen by a group of experts representing the Women's Collegiate Gymnastics Association (WCGA).
Carey joins Sunisa Lee (Auburn), Lexy Ramler (Minnesota) and Trinity Thomas (Florida) as nominees for gymnastics this year.
The 11-time all-around winner had a remarkable first season with the Orange & Black as her unmatched year will go down in the record books as arguably the most dominate freshman. She finished the regular season ranked No. 1 in the all-around and was in the top-10 on every event except beam, where she was tied for No. 11.
Carey won 47 individual titles and holds nine of the top-10 Oregon State all-around scores. The Phoenix, Ariz. native only had three scores below 9.90 all year and competed in the all-around in every single meet of the season. She scored three perfect 10s on the year and had her best performance at the NCAA Seattle Regional with a 39.850.
More season highlights from Carey's 2022 season:
- NCAA Seattle Regional all-around (39.850), vault (9.975), beam (9.975) and floor (9.975) champion.
- Finished fourth in the NCAA Championships in the all-around (39.650), matching OSU's second highest finish
- Named WCGA Regional One Gymnast of the Year
- Won the Pac-12 Championship all-around
- Only gymnast with five All-America Regular Season honors
- After NCAA competition, holds eight All-America nods
- Pac-12 Gymnast of the Year and Pac-12 Freshman of the Year, becoming first gymnast to do so in the history of the conference
- Totaled all five first-team all-conference nods
- Claimed nine Pac-12 weekly awards, including three Gymnast of the Week and six Freshman of the Week honors
- Led Oregon State with 48 event wins in 2022 – 11 all-around, floor; nine vault, bars; eight beam
2023 SEASON TICKETS
Season tickets for the 2023 Oregon State Gymnastics season are on sale now! With options starting as low as $25, be sure to catch the 2023 Beavers in Gill Coliseum by purchasing your tickets here. Current season ticket holders can renew their season tickets here.
For more information on the Oregon State gymnastics team, follow the club's official Twitter account at Twitter.com/BeaverGym, by Facebook at Facebook.com/BeaverGym or on Instagram at Instagram.com/BeaverGym.
Oregon State Athletics strives to Build Excellent Authentic Visionary Student-Athletes (Go BEAVS).