Washington advances on first day of 2022 Pac-12 Men’s Tennis Championship
OJAI, Calif. – No. 8 seed Washington beat No. 9 Oregon, 4-2, in the opening match on Wednesday to advance to the quarterfinals of the 2022 Pac-12 Men’s Tennis Championship. Washington will face No. 1 seed and league regular-season champion Arizona at noon PT on Thursday.
After taking the doubles point, Washington outlasted the Ducks with three consecutive three-set wins in singles. In doubles, the Huskies’ duo of Cesar Bouchelaghem and Han-Chih Lin won at No. 3 against Luke Vandecasteele and Youssef Kadiri (6-2), while Clement Chidekh and Nedim Suko captured the win on court No. 2 with a 6-3 win over Oregon’s Ivailo Keremedchiev and Jesper Klov-Nilsson.
Oregon tied the match 1-1 as Ivailo Keremedchiev bested Washington’s Ewen Lumsden (6-3, 6-4) on court No. 3. The second singles match on court No. 2 gave the Ducks a 2-1 lead when Quinn Vandecasteele defeated Washington’s Jack Davis, 3-6, 6-2, 6-4. However, the tide started to turn for Washington and three straight wins followed.
On court No. 1, Washington’s Clement Chidekh raced to a 6-0 first set win against Josh Charlton. Charlton fought to take the second set into a tiebreak, ultimately forcing the match into a third set. Chidekh came back out on top once again in the third to tie the overall team match 2-2.
Freshman Nedim Suko of Washington got the big win on court No. 6 that brought Washington back in the lead, 3-2, coming back from a set down to beat Oregon’s Ryoma Matsushita, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4. Husky sophomore Han-Chih Lin came through to clinch the match for Washington, 4-2. He lost the first set to Oregon’s Jesper Klov-Nilsson, 3-6, before going on to win the second, 6-3. He finished it off with a 6-4 third-set win on court No. 4, which gave the Huskies their third win of this season against 48th-ranked Oregon.
2022 PAC-12 MEN’S TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIP RESULTS
First Round // Wed., April 20 // Libbey Tennis Courts, Ojai, Calif.
No. 8 Washington 4, No. 9 Oregon 2
1. Quinn Vandecasteele/Josh Charlton, ORE v. Jack Davis/Ewen Lumsden, WASH - 5-3 unf.
2. Clement Chidekh/Nedim Suko, WASH def. Ivailo Keremedchiev/Jesper Klov-Nilsson, ORE - 6-3
3. Cesar Bouchelaghem/Han-Chih Lin, WASH def. Luke Vandecasteele/Youssef Kadiri, ORE - 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 2
1. Clement Chidekh, WASH def. Josh Charlton, ORE - 6-0, 6-7 (5), 6-1
2. Quinn Vandecasteele, ORE def. Jack Davis, WASH - 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
3. Ivailo Keremedchiev, ORE def. Ewen Lumsden, WASH - 6-3, 6-4
4. Han-Chih Lin, WASH def. Jesper Klov-Nilsson, ORE – 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
5. Luke Vandecasteele, ORE v. Cesar Bouchelaghem, WASH – 3-6, 7-6 (6), 5-4 unf.
6. Nedim Suko, WASH def. Ryoma Matsushita, ORE - 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1, 6, 4